FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   saving Sketches
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: saving Sketches  (Read 511 times)
nurm

WWW Email
saving Sketches
« on: Nov 6th, 2002, 8:39pm »

Hi,
I was just wandering...
Can I change the name of the sketches, so the incremental isn't randomize?
Instead of save as...
Every time I start a new sketch, is a random Nr. and it's hard to keep track.
Or may B U have a better suggestion?

Best regard
/a

fry

Re: saving Sketches
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2002, 10:12pm »

do you have a suggestion for what to use instead? our assumption is that people either 1) don't care what the name is, or 2) will rename it using "save as".

also, you can click the name of the sketch for instant-rename rather than having to use the menu.

the (standard for other apps?) "untitled-01" "untitled-02" etc thing seems annoying so we decided to just have it pick a number, in an attempt to try something different/potentially better, as with more variation in the numbers you might have an easier time remembering. maybe not the best idea?

anyone have input on an improved scheme? the main thing is that we want to avoid the situation from IDEs where you start up the app and have to "setup a new project" and give it a name, and choose a location for it, etc.

Glen Murphy

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 4:19am »

What about using the date as part of the number? (eg 021107_glentron_1)It would make organisation and recollection a bit easier, and anything that is worked on for more than a few days would probably get renamed to something more meaningful by the author.

Disclaimer:
I have given this idea little thought.

nurm

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 8:14am »

I really like the idea, that I don't have to set up a project and a directory before starting the code, and the save as function is fine. But every time I make a new project I get a new sub-directory with a random Nr. and even I name it after making it, the older Nr. is still there and probably empty. And that's what makes it hard to keep tracking.
I would say making the date a part of  the name (sketch_DATE_incrementalNr.) is a grate idea.

Have a nice day
/a  

fry

« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 4:46pm »

date's not a bad idea. we could probably leave the year off (hopefully you've renamed the thing if it's a year old..), like so: sketch_1104, or even: sketch_nov4. the nov4 might be a little easier to read but it gets kinda ugly and you lose alphabetical ordering so maybe that's not the best.

after that, incrementing with 'a', 'b', 'c' might help.. i.e. sketch_1104a, and so on.  

then again, perhaps better sketch naming should be implemented, so that it can be named "sketch 11/04 a".

thoughts?

fry

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 4:47pm »

as for leaving numbered sketch boogers around, i think we may need to add a 'remove original' option for save as, so that it would effectively be a rename instead of a save as.

earlier revs just had something called rename, but it got too confusing with the other functions.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »