FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Syntax
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Runtime environments?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Runtime environments?  (Read 2944 times)
scafativ

Runtime environments?
« on: Aug 27th, 2003, 4:05am »

This seems like a foolishly basic question, but I can't find the answer anywhere in the docs.

A number of P5 classes (particularly ones that pertain to video) say that they don't work in a browser.  Where else can one run a P5 program?  Do these functions only work in the P5 development environment?  Is there some way to run a java program in Quicktime?  I'm confused on this point.

Thanks

VcS

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
Re: Runtime environments?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 8:03am »

at some point, the "export to application" function will be useable. when that happens, you'll be able to use those things outside the dev environment

the reason they don't work in browsers (and hence applets), is security restrictions. however, you *should* be able to run much of it right now using an exported applet, by running the applet within Windows's cmd. i think there's a thread somewhere about how to do that...

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 8:04am »

yep, here:
http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_Tools_action_display__num_1036856812.html

scafativ

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 11:34pm »

Hmmmm...

When I "export to web" a .jar file is created.  When I try to run the .jar in a JVM (ewe, specifically) it says that it can't run that file.  If it's really a .jar that's being generated, what's the reason that it can't run?

Thanks.

VcS

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 5:44am »

depending on your sketch, there might also be some CLASS files created... and there should be a JAVA file.

fry

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 5:19pm »

on Aug 27th, 2003, 11:34pm, scafativ wrote:

When I "export to web" a .jar file is created.  When I try to run the .jar in a JVM (ewe, specifically) it says that it can't run that file.  If it's really a .jar that's being generated, what's the reason that it can't run

because it doesn't include the proper MANIFEST file to support a 'main-class' so that the jar file can be run by double clicking it. this is something that needs to be fixed a bit before double-clickable .jar files will work (this is roughly how export-to-application will be implemented).

just a reminder: this is alpha software.. alpha means not everything is implemented yet!

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 9:24am »

if anyone's interested, a small MS-DOS batch file (.BAT) placed in the applet folder, with the following in it will run your exported applet as a kind-of-application through cmd on Windows:

java -cp [appName].jar [appName] [appName]

scafativ

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 4:47pm »

Yup- that works perfectly!  Thanks.

Mr. Fry- I know it's alpha- no pressures from me.  I'm amazed by how complete and robust the environment is already!

And I certainly won't take this opportunity to beg for a working implementation of generate().  That would be rude of me.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 9:15am »

small trick...

if you use (on the .bat file)

start /min java -cp [appName].jar [appName] [appName]

it'll open the dos console minimised...

fwiw
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2003, 9:16am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Pages: 1