FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   v68: code folder bug
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 3 
   Author  Topic: v68: code folder bug  (Read 3345 times)
ashtonium

kravdraard WWW Email
Re: v68: code folder bug
« Reply #30 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 3:54am »

no, it seems that i get the same result in 67, code folder = no serial functionality. bummer.

fry

« Reply #31 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 2:50pm »

so this is broken for the pc as well? that might actually make it a little easier to fix. although it's probably broken for totally different reasons.

what are the symptoms with the pc version? and are you using standard or expert? i have a feel that with the pc version, the problem is with the javax.comm.properties file.

i need to find myself a serial device and get this thing debugged. or maybe i need to buy amit a $10 ticket for the chinatown bus and spend an afternoon debugging this thing up in boston.

ashtonium

kravdraard WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 4:56pm »

i'm using standard, but i just tried it in expert using the same setup and produced the same results:  

Having a "code" folder (with win32com.dll, comm.jar, and javax.comm.properties copied into it) returns no errors but it seems that serialEvent() never gets called.  

For testing purposes i removed everything but a println() statement from serialEvent() in the analog_input example.    
* Without a code folder, i get the correct output in stdout.txt
* with an empty code folder i get the following error:
Error loading win32com: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no win32com in java.library.path
* when i copy the files listed above into the code folder, i get no error, but also nothing in stdout.txt

side note: i have noticed that having a code folder occasionaly causes Processing to hang when i try to run the sketch.  No display window appears untill i press the stop button.  But 75% of the time the display window pops up just fine.  I have no idea if this is related or not.

Hope this info helps,
-kevin

fry

« Reply #33 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 6:41pm »

kAshton, what's your PATH environment variable set to?
(if you don't know what i'm talking about.. open up a command prompt, type "echo %PATH%" and paste the result here)

ashtonium

kravdraard WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 2:17am »

c:\WINDOWS\system32;c:\WINDOWS\;c:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2004, 2:20am by ashtonium »  
Steve

nerdytone WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 3:14pm »

How's this for ya, with a code folder present on v67 or v68 I don't get an output window at all, I have to hit the stop button to see it. I can really only trace this problem back to after I installed the latest sound card drivers(audigy) and video card drivers. I'm on XP.

edit: now it works at seemingly random times. I will reinstall JSyn or JVRE or restart and it works once then does the same thing. Then like 15 minutes later it works again.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2004, 4:28pm by Steve »  
fry

« Reply #36 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 5:31pm »

are you using a virus scanner (norton in particular) that's set to scan files on-access?

Steve

nerdytone WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 6:26pm »

indeed i am

edit 1. - searching a previous thread, i will uninstall and get back to you.

edit 2! - yea that was it. =)
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2004, 7:19pm by Steve »  
ashtonium

kravdraard WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 9:26pm »

yeah, looks like the side note i mentioned was caused by Nortan Anti-Virus, all that is needed is reconfiguring the Auto-Protect so that it doesn't scan files when run or opened.

Happy to find that out, but will be much happier if serial and a code folder can work together, let me know if there is anything else i can do to help...  is there perhaps some alternate way to load the external libraries into Processing? --a temporary workaround?  My apologies if i'm getting a bit pestery, i've got a show in two weeks that i'd like to have sound working for, so that's where my stress is coming from, I don't mean to pass my stress on to you guys though.

keep up the good work,
-kevin

Steve

nerdytone WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 10:58pm »

I'm not finding that option in norton av 2004. there is the option to disable auto-protect but that's it. and even disabling auto-protect doesn't stop this problem.  

-steve

ashtonium

kravdraard WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 3:08am »

huh, i dunno, i've got the ancient 2002 model
My Auto-Protect options menu has a section called "Scan files when they are" with individual check boxes next to "Run or opened" and "Created or downloaded"  If i uncheck the "Run or opened" box, it seems to fix the display window problem.
Hope you can find something similar in NAV 2004

fry

« Reply #41 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 1:41pm »

there's also mcafee/network associates virusscan, which doesn't have the same problem (which is what i use, and why i didn't know about the bug sooner)

oh, and does the problem still exist in nav 2004? i heard one report that it was fixed..

you might also just be able to exempt particular applications from scanning, but who knows.

Pages: 1 2 3 

« Previous topic | Next topic »