FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   smooth() = breaky breaky
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: smooth() = breaky breaky  (Read 319 times)
flight404

WWW Email
smooth() = breaky breaky
« on: Jul 31st, 2003, 7:15am »

Can someone explain how turning on smooth() could actually break an applet that runs fine without it?

I don't want to post the code example because it is very sloppy so that might very well be the problem.  In general, I am placing box()s in a spherical configuration.  There are a few line elements as well.  It runs fine without any smoothing.  But once I turn smooth() on, I get an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException error.

Is there something going on with smooth behind the scenes that would cause something like this to happen?

r
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2003, 7:16am by flight404 »  
toxi

Re: smooth() = breaky breaky
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 1:53pm »

because smoothing works by averaging neighbouring pixels (in very general terms!) that it somehow tries to access pixels outside the buffer, hence the exception. never encountered this before, so if you could post some code (or send it offlist) i can have a lüük fanx!

http://toxi.co.uk/
fry

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 6:19pm »

if you're using textures, there's an annoying bug in that code that causes trouble when smooth() is turned on. i thought it had been fixed, but apparently there were two bugs in the same dozen lines of code

this will be a moot point once we get the new graphics code from sami and carlos (probably release 58 ) but i'll try to trap the problem for 57.  

actually, if you could send the sketch folder (zipped up) to me (fry at media dot mit dot edu) i'd be most grateful, and i could try to track down specifically what it's doing or where it's dying, i can trap that for 57 (coming very soon).
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2003, 6:20pm by fry »  
fry

« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2003, 9:09pm »

flight404 sent the code offline, so i've just finished a fix that will be in 0057.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »