FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   IE patent case... applet embedding?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: IE patent case... applet embedding?  (Read 362 times)
TomC

IE patent case... applet embedding?
« on: Oct 14th, 2003, 12:57am »

According to Apple's FAQ on the matter, the outcome of the Eolas patent case against Microsoft will mean that applet embedding will be affected.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedfaq.html

There are fixes floating around the web apparently, including ones from Microsoft and Macromedia.  The easiest ones involve using document.write() to insert the tags instead of writing the HTML directly.

toxii
Email
Re: IE patent case... applet embedding?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 10:30am »

this will be taken care of in the next release (or as there's a final decision). AFAIK Eola filed for injunction and it's not sure yet if the cheap javascript workaround will suffice legally.

fry

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 1:38am »

the fix didn't make it into rev 66 (in spite of toxi's help in contributing the necessary code), but will be in 67.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2003, 1:38am by fry »  
skloopy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 1:54am »

Hey what?

Can somebody post a link to an article about this cuz I've never heard about it.

edit >

If this is what I think it is, aren't you guys doing exactly what MS wants? Shouldn't you just leave it the way it is? I mean if IE is crappy people should just use another browser, right?

Found the article on MS's site BTW.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2003, 2:05am by skloopy »  
fry

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 3:19am »

on Oct 20th, 2003, 1:54am, scloopy wrote:
Hey what

Can somebody post a link to an article about this cuz I've never heard about it.

edit >

If this is what I think it is, aren't you guys doing exactly what MS wants Shouldn't you just leave it the way it is I mean if IE is crappy people should just use another browser, right

Found the article on MS's site BTW.

nope, it's not just ms. it's for all the browsers. some guy has a patent on the ability to embed things in web pages and have a plug-in automatically load content for them. they're going after msft first, but the patent also affects any other existing browser. it's not a 'screw msft' sort of thing, in fact, it's sad that this guy is pursuing this ridiculous patent against msft because he thinks he's screwing ms and doing everyone a favor, but instead he's making the web shitty for everyone.

having lost the patent case, msft has to modify their browser to include a message saying that content is automatically being downloaded, making the plug-in process less "automatic" since that's what's been patented. this takes the form of a little dialog box that pops up when you visit a page that has java, flash, etc on it. really annoying.  

the workaround is to have the page automatically generated through javascript, since that seems to be some kind of loophole in the patent. this will prevent the dialog box from coming up whenever you visit a page that has java on it.

much as i'd like to see a competitive landscape return, this isn't gonna do it, and it's just making a headache for everyone involved. pretty sad.

skloopy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 4:46am »

wow, it seems like you shouldn't be able to have a patent on something like that.

I thought it was a copying-code thing, but this sucks.

Thanks fry.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »