FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   text() onto BImage
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: text() onto BImage  (Read 363 times)
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
text() onto BImage
« on: Jun 27th, 2003, 7:35am »

i'd lurv to be able to text() directly onto BImage layers.

imgLayer.text(text,x,y); //maybe...

that way i could store/write/operate on pixel info larger than the app size.

arielm

Re: text() onto BImage
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 1:01pm »

i'm currently working on something similar: beeing able to write text (using the standard vlw fonts) on an arbitrary image buffer, that could be in turn used for texture mapping (i.e: how about writing text on any volume)...

in addition, i'm adding some nice features like automatic word-wrapping, cliping, and in the future, maybe also "attributed text" (i.e: the ability to define inline color, size, links, whatever...)

i'm currently in the middle of the implementation... the "early stages" have been discussed here:
http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_Tools_action_display__num_1054293190.html

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
arielm

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 12:38pm »

and... here is my implementation of it (don't worry about the red color... it's just for demo purposes):

http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_Tools_action_display__num_1058437808.html

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 1:02pm »

excelent! another day in the life of the bagel papa poule is there a plan/ETA on making this kind of thing more built-in?

arielm

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 1:20pm »

more built-in?

mmm... do you mean: nicely packaged api, with personal homepage, documentation, examples, etc?..

it's not really my current way of working... instead, i prefer "running" toward my goal (chronotext, i.e. multidimensional text), and in the meantime, upgrade here and there the tools i use...

at some time, all this structure will be mature enough to be packaged somehow...
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2003, 4:13pm by arielm »  

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 1:26pm »

erm... i mean, so i can use... say, image.text(blabla)

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 1:29pm »

sorry, i'll add a bit more: i mean, so that beginners can have the advantage of using your work on it (without having to cart all that code into their sketches).

arielm

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 1:55pm »

on Jul 17th, 2003, 1:29pm, benelek wrote:
sorry, i'll add a bit more: i mean, so that beginners can have the advantage of using your work on it (without having to cart all that code into their sketches).

not easy to find the time for this (the problem is that i spend most of my non-business spare-time writing core stuff which doesn't exist yet) instead of having fun with dimensional text!

so, in order to have "beginners taking advantage of this stuff", i would have even less time for the "fun" part (i have this chronotext idea in mind since 2001 but i haven't been able to put a decent time-based example online yet...)

again, at some point, i believe there'll be a real api for dimensional text, accessible to beginners too (and by the way, opengl powered...)

for now, 3d text is a complex matter (i mean writing text on a BImage is only the top of the iceberg), so if someone is interested, i guess there's no choice but to dig-in (e.g. having to cart all that code)...

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »