FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   3d objects
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: 3d objects  (Read 316 times)
depth

WWW Email
3d objects
« on: Jun 24th, 2003, 6:52am »

seems like this question would have been asked already, but i haven't seen it....

is there any particular reason there is no such thing as a 3d object in proce55ing, same as in programs such as 3dsmax?  the object would have properties like positionX/Y/Z, rotationX/Y/Z, etc.

seems like the openGL libraries have this functionality already.

it would be a lot easier than the cumbersome translate/rotate/translate scenario, and would allow for much easier manipulation of individual 3d entities (instead of the whole environment)....

fry

Re: 3d objects
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 3:07pm »

i'm not sure i follow your question.. the imaging model is almost identical to opengl with regards to 3D.  

we don't have any object classes for shapes or objects if that's what you mean, we just haven't really bothered yet (these aren't in opengl either, and i've rarely used them for my own work). but these are easy to add, and we assumed that someone would add them if they felt inclined.

pitaru

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2003, 8:39pm »

here's a simple example of how to rotate objects without affecting the entire enviornment.

http://www.pitaru.com/proce55ing/shapeObjects/
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2003, 8:40pm by pitaru »  
vanwoods

Email
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25th, 2003, 9:39pm »

minor typo on line 55, rotateY(ax) should read rotateY(aY), right

pitaru, have you done anything towards developing editor-like functionality  ie, objects with attributes and handles, and being able to rotate the obj vs rotate the scene  see:http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_Contribution_Respons_ive_action_display_num_1056566427.html

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »