FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   resizeable text spitout area
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: resizeable text spitout area  (Read 404 times)
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
resizeable text spitout area
« on: Apr 14th, 2003, 4:00pm »

a small comment about something which is only mildly annoying: the black error/prinln area down the bottom of the p5 workspace would be much more convenient if i could resize it.

those terrifying red errors are especially annoying because i have to fight with the scroller just to read em.

-jacob

fry

Re: resizeable text spitout area
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2003, 4:59pm »

yeah, we're planning to fix this.. i've bumped it up on the list priority for you. squeaky wheel gets the grease and all.

for the time being, two things:  

- the errors are also logged to lib/stderr.txt and lib/stdout.txt if you want the full dump of things.  

- there's a line in pde.properties to make the console larger, though it only gets set on startup, so maybe not a great solution.

now that the text area is working, maybe we'll use that for the console as well.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 9:46pm »

wrapping text?
horizontal scrolling?

hehe, maybe i'm pushing my luck...

pollux | www.frwrd.net
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 4:32am »

now that u mention is Pollux, horizontal scrolling is there (some really subtle buttons to the right of the spitout area allow you to scroll), but every now and then i find that p5 won't allow me to scroll all the way to the bottom.

-jacob

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 5:13am »

aren't those vertical scroll buttons?

hehe...

pollux | www.frwrd.net
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29th, 2003, 3:40pm »

horizontal... vertical... u know, we all want to be horizontal at this time of the night!

fry

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2003, 4:44am »

on Apr 25th, 2003, 9:46pm, pollux wrote:
wrapping text
horizontal scrolling

hehe, maybe i'm pushing my luck...
yeah, we'll probably just make this a textarea, so we should get some of this for free.

gsm

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2003, 10:27am »

Just an idea that came up: if you would turn this outputwindow into a textarea, how far would the implications reach if it would behave more like Director's messagewindow? i.e. being able to run scripts in the messagewindow as well?
It's a great functionality for running quick tests a.o.

Another option might be to do this from the editorpane, but an option for turning all code into comments and back again would be welcome, either by using ctrl+a to select all code or selecting part of it and then push a "comment" toggle?

On the other hand i DO use the mouse a lot, even for editing code, so maybe i should try to keep my hands more on the keyboard...

Anyway, it's not an urgent issue

fry

« Reply #8 on: May 1st, 2003, 4:36pm »

the messagewindow thing could be fun. 'specially once we get other little libraries and classes in there. though in general i'm guessing that'd be post 1.0. as for the comment stuff, i've added that to the 'editor' wishlist.

fry

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29th, 2003, 5:12am »

new console, implemented by danh, upcoming for rev 57.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »