FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   included examples - more barebones code
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: included examples - more barebones code  (Read 382 times)
adrien

included examples - more barebones code
« on: Mar 28th, 2003, 1:43pm »

Just a suggestion about the included examples:

it would be nice to have some more barebones examples, with lots of comments, which focus on specifically what the function in question does, how it works, without bringing other functions into the picture, etc..

Perhaps there can be a 'reference' set of examples included with the other examples, which do this.

I find many of the examples go too far, have too many other sidetracking functions included, etc, to really be able to focus on the code in question : they end up being more 'demo's than 'minimal' examples.

I'm an writing some if these, as well as a (rather sparce) reference PDF in french, which I will happily make available as the semester progresses and they become a bit more 'complete'.

Signature: Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post...
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
Re: included examples - more barebones code
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2003, 1:40pm »

actually u know i was intrigued that the examples had both a conceptual-tangential focus and a simple coding focus. it seems to work with the whole "designer's educational tool" ethos.

adrien

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 3:14pm »

on Mar 29th, 2003, 1:40pm, benelek wrote:
actually u know i was intrigued that the examples had both a conceptual-tangential focus and a simple coding focus. it seems to work with the whole "designer's educational tool" ethos.

yeah, i agree, but...

maybe there need to be three types of examples:

- reference (lots of comments, barebones, covers the subject in completely, explains what's happening)

- demo (more applied, shows a particular code in action doing someting, example still kept relatively free of other stuff which might be confusing (like an array in the middle of a for loop demo, although often used together, if the learner doesn't know about arrays, they will walk away with more questions than answers) - this is pretty much what there is now in the reference section)

- 'project' which shows using many different types of code together, assumes a basic understanding of each part, oriented in applying language to solving tasks, larger scale stuff, different conceptual approaches to the same situation, etc.

[offtopic]
DBN had a really nice book. Maybe P5 should have a really nice book someday. Could even be a collaborative project with the community, with different members contributing examples, ideas, approaches, war stories, whatever.
Prefaced by a well written 'Leanring P5' basics guide like the DBN book, a really complete API reference, and then a ton of floatsom and jetsom of examples and ideas and whatnot from the users.
[/offtopic]
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2003, 3:14pm by adrien »  

Signature: Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post...
REAS

« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 4:01pm »

I agree with the above sentiments.

We're in progress of the complete API reference launch. I hope to have something up by the beginning of next week for the community to see. I've been working on it for months (ughh).

The strategy for example code as you've deduced:
Demo: in the "Software" section
Design/Code hybrids: in the "Learning" section
Simple examples: in the "Reference" section

There has been alot of work done on planning the Processing books as well. The website has been designed to flow well into book format.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »