FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Integration
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Processing code to Java/OpenGL
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Processing code to Java/OpenGL  (Read 18375 times)
timjaeger

Email
Processing code to Java/OpenGL
« on: Feb 15th, 2005, 11:04pm »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to processing, but might be working on it for an upcoming project. What might happen, however, is eventually using just plain Java with OpenGL.

The question I have is, to people who have been using Processing / Java / OpenGL for a while, how easy (or possible/time consuming/etc.) is it to write the majority of the code in Processing language, then 'convert' it to Java/OpenGL?

I'm almost completely new to OpenGL, and have some programming experience with PHP, Java, etc.

TomC

Re: Processing code to Java/OpenGL
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 10:56am »

Short answer - it depends what you're doing.

Long answer - see my post here: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/board_Contribution_Simlati_on_action_display_num_1078518419.html

(I was comparing C++/OpenGL to Processing there; Java/OpenGL pretty much sits in between them).

If you're not in a hurry, an OpenGL renderer is in the works for Processing which should allow stuff to run full-screen with hardware acceleration.  You'd have to have speed as your over-riding number one priority not to use Processing then.

My advice would be to try it in Processing and see, but bear in mind that fonts, webcams/videos, images and pixel manipulations will be the biggest headaches to convert.  Drawing code and data processing should be reasonably quick to convert.

timjaeger

Email
Re: Processing code to Java/OpenGL
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:26pm »

TomC,

Thanks for the reply! So if speed isn't the overruling factor, then it seems that Processing/Java would actually work alright.

I took a look at your website and noticed that some of the visualizations you've done with Processing are exactly pretty on the mark with what I'm trying to do, only I'm in the process of researching building an external ontology as XML to be loaded into processing -see:

http://www.toxi.co.uk/p5/nanoxmltest/

but maybe once I have more working examples I can shoot you an email to get some feedback.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »