FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Integration
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   processing graphics vs java graphics ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: processing graphics vs java graphics ?  (Read 1417 times)
James

processing graphics vs java graphics ?
« on: Jan 14th, 2005, 2:19pm »

hello everyone,

I have so many questions it's hard to know where to begin. I started learning java and processing last weekend. I've been sat here pretty much ever since and am quite dizzy with all the new info running around my head.

ok, firstly, and to save me clogging this board with loads of pure java questions, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can recommend their favourite source of java tutorials. I have found this site : http://www.particle.kth.se/~lindsey/JavaCourse/Book/index.html
usefull but in general am still fairly bewildered by the multitude of differing views on how to do stuff in java.

secondly, (and this is really the topic of my post) I am wondering about the processing image and drawing methods and how they compare to using say the java graphics2D stuff? are processing image and drawing methods actually extensions of existing java graphics libraries??

ok, i better leave it at that for this post.
thanks,

james

fry

Re: processing graphics vs java graphics ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 6:39pm »

processing is built on java, but doesn't use any of its graphics. java2d is only available in java 1.2 and higher, and the majority of the world is still using 1.1, so processing has been built to work in 1.1, and does all its own drawing, at the pixel level, into a MemoryImageSource (in case you hear that term in your java studying).  

the rest of processing is mostly straight java that's run through a preprocessor to make things simpler for users, and get the "interesting" stuff at the surface (i.e. make it easy to draw things rather than write the 2 pages of code to get things on the screen, as you would have to in straight java). it prevents you from having to learn about applets, objects, threads, the event model, etc. things that tend to overwhelm first time users of java.  

so in general, assuming it's graphics you want to do, start with the processing examples (included with the environment and here on the site) and see how things work, then build out to java later as you want to do more "advanced" things that aren't covered by the initial processing api.  

good luck!

James

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 1:47pm »

cheers ben,

That answers my question, thanks very much.  

james

homesick_alien

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 4:09pm »

on Jan 14th, 2005, 2:19pm, James wrote:
hello everyone,

ok, firstly, and to save me clogging this board with loads of pure java questions, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can recommend their favourite source of java tutorials.

I think "thinking in java" is really great, and you can download it free here

mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 6:46pm »

this has been linked before in this forum, but here's a link selection by fry:

http://acg.media.mit.edu/people/fry/explain/java/

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
James

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 3:50pm »

thanks for the links guys.

njet

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 4:11pm »

Thanks Fry for explaining the difference between Processing and Java regarding graphics.

You say that Processing is using its own drawing methods and not using the Java2D which came with Java 1.2.  

Now, my question is (as always) about speed. Do you have any specs about if Java is much faster for drawing stuff than Processing?

And the next version Processing which has OpenGL support, is it extending the Java 1.2 Graphic2D? (Or rather, is it still going to be Java 1.1 or moving up?)  

I am asking because I am starting a long term project where I am using graphics alot. I have been thinking about which environment to use for this coding, and I had decided to use Processing as one can extend it nicely with the power of Java. Processing is great and the community is great, but is it the right choice when thinking about speed?  

Should I perhaps start using Java, because of the Graphic2D libraries there, or would it be unnecessary as it is coming with the next release of Processing?

Thanks a lot.
njet

amoeba

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 6:32pm »

Java2D is not faster than Processing as of right now. JDK 1.5 is supposed to improve Java2D on Windows by supporting hardware acceleration, but I don't know how that works out in a realworld scenario.

The main benefits of the Processing graphics engine are:

1. Seamless integration of 2D and 3D graphics in the same programming structure.  

2. JDK 1.1 compatibility means you can show your work online without worrying too much about the user's plugins etc.

JOGL is faster than both Java2D and Processing since it sits on top of OpenGL. In future versions, Processing will support OpenGL, but for now you can check out Philipp Seifrid's tutorial on integrating JOGL with Processing.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2005, 6:47pm by amoeba »  

marius watz // amoeba
http://processing.unlekker.net/
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »