FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Sound
(Moderators: pitaru, REAS)
   questions about the future of audio in processing.
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: questions about the future of audio in processing.  (Read 535 times)
steph

Email
questions about the future of audio in processing.
« on: Jul 29th, 2004, 2:42am »

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this, maybe it should be in suggestions?

I've been discovering processing and loving it. I'm experienced in director and flash, and starting to work with max/msp, and I'm considering processing as a tool for working on some ideas, like 2D and 3D exploration, where audio is a protagonist.  

I don't feel very confortable with the idea that users will have to install a plugin, jsyn, to be able to have access to those projects. my first question is, will future releases of processing avoid the requirement of an external plugin for audio?

also, another question goes for the future features of audio control in processing. will there be any kind of control on the audio spectrum?

thanks!

pitaru

WWW Email
Re: questions about the future of audio in process
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 4:07pm »

>will there be any kind of control on the audio spectrum?

There's already full access to audio spectrum (see the http://pitaru.com/sonia ). Is there anything specific you  are missing?

Re. the plugin- the alternative is using 'Java-Sound' which does not require a plugin. At the moment Java-Sound's features and performance across platforms is not impressive. If/When it improves, i'll provide an 'under-the-hood' alternative to jsyn while maintiaining the same Sonia API. With that said, i'll personally keep using jsyn because of its superior audio quality.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2004, 4:07pm by pitaru »  
steph

Email
Re: questions about the future of audio in process
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2004, 2:58am »

thanks for your reply!

I've read that I can analyse the spectrum, but I will probably need to mute a part of the audio spectrum in realtime.. does sonia already have that capability?

also, what do you mean by realtime sound synthesis? my knowledge in audio theory is very small, and when I read it what comes to my mind is a synth

and also, any idea if java sound will improve in a near future?

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »