FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Sound
(Moderators: pitaru, REAS)
   sound analysis newbie Qs...
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 
   Author  Topic: sound analysis newbie Qs...  (Read 2799 times)
mrb

Re: sound analysis newbie Qs...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:26pm »

ahhh right...how does it hold up?  any word on how many grains you can play simultaneously in java? with graphics?  its fast on os x / c++...wondering how it sounds in java,

pitaru

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:36pm »

here's a test i've done: http://pitaru.com/sonia/beta/grain_test

-amit
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2003, 2:29am by pitaru »  
Koenie

170825270170825270koeniedesign WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 7:52pm »

gross!

http://koeniedesign.com
elaine

« Reply #18 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 6:36am »

Hi,

I tried the 3 examples in Sonia's site. I've lot of fun on them. Thanks to all of you, that contribute a lot for that.

Btw, I have a few questions to ask...

Regardsing the Realtime Spectrum,
what the graph display? I whistled with my mic and expected a single line to be seen. But, the fact is, a series of lines are obtained. So, if the x-axis means the freq and y-axis means the amplitude?

Regarding the Sample Control,
I run it smooth online. But when i put the code and run with my Processing. It runs with the following error
-----------------------------
Sonia SAYS: Please make sure you have entered the correct Sample file name to load

java.lang.NullPointerException

at BJSyn.loadSample(BJSyn.java:233)

at Sample.<init>(Sample.java:30)

at Temporary_8910_832.setup(Temporary_8910_832.java:7)
--------------------------------
I'm using Processing-0067, Window XP and I'm sure the sine.aiff is under my data folder.

Thanks,
Elaine

pitaru

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 1:51pm »

Hi Elain,  

> the x-axis means the freq and y-axis means the amplitude

Yes! The lines on the left show the low 'bass' frequencies, and the the right side provides the hi 'trebble' ones. In a couple of days a bug will be fixed and you'll be able to easily change the number of frequencies to analyze. also, if you need just 'one line' for the volume, you can use the LiveInput.getLevel(); command (see the sonia page for documentation) .

> Regarding the Sample Control
> Sonia SAYS: Please make sure you have entered the correct Sample file name to load  

the program is trying to use the 'sine.aiff' sample file - so you'll need to download it to your machine. I should have made that more clear! You can obtain the file through the sonia page in the 'installing sonia' section. Or... change the name of the file in your program and use your own sample. In either case, make sure to put the sample file in your sketch 'data' folder.

i hope this helps.
-amit

elaine

« Reply #20 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 5:41pm »

hi amit,

Many thanks to your quick response. I'm working on some waveforms (sine/square/triangle) and would like to change the domain from time to frequency for analysis. Thus, your examples really helps me a lot, esp in getting the FFT diagrams. Btw, is getSpectrum a bulid-in method for LiveInput only? What should I do if I want having the FFT for a square waveform? I tried create a Sample and call the getSpectrum. And I got error in running the program.

Thanks for your suggestion on LiveInput.getLevel(), I got a straight when playing a sine wave. But there are still many short lines appeared around the frequency axis. Are they from background noise? Any ways to exclude them?

For the "sine.aiff", I think it should be my problem. Let me try again.

Thanks,
Elaine~
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2004, 4:46am by elaine »  
elaine

« Reply #21 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 6:12am »

Dear all,

I've solved the file loading problem. The program now can load the files in ".wav" and ".aif" format. But in my case, it only allows ".aif" but not ".aiff"!

elaine~

Steve

nerdytone WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 6:16am »

I think what she means is the same thing i asked you last week amit. I think she wants the waveform rather than the Frequency spectrum. To do this you use the LiveInput.signal[] array rather than LiveInput.samples[]. I have a little example written up, and you'll need a microphone or some kind of input(clean guitar worked best for me ).  

http://www.stevegh.com/sonia/waveform/

If you look at the code you'll also notice I put a filter on the visual output so that it looks less jagged. Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 2 

« Previous topic | Next topic »