FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Sound
(Moderators: pitaru, REAS)
   Sound potential
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Sound potential  (Read 3214 times)
flight404

WWW Email
Sound potential
« on: Jun 27th, 2003, 2:04am »

Sorry I don't have an example to post, but this brings me to my question.  With Processing, combined with any number of other applications (Director in particular), will it be possible (or is it currently) to control graphic output based on audio input?

For example, I read that there is a Director Xtra that allows Java Applets to be exported in a Director projector.  I think it is also possible for Director to give amplitude information real-time.  So, does anyone know if those can be tied together to make a Processing project that takes in sound through a microphone or other audio input and uses the amplitude information to effect variables within the applet?

If anyone has any information as to how to piece this together, please let me know.

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
Re: Sound potential
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 3:22am »

yikes! but fun...

you could patch it together rather messily using javascript as the translator. i think there was a thread somewhere round here with details on interfacing with javascript...

once you have the amplitude, etc variables streaming to within Processing, the rest is simple coding off into the sunset...

toxi

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 6:57pm »

hi flight404,

i've done a few soundreactive demos/installation pieces in director. the xtra you need is the asFFT Xtra by antoine schmitt. the new version should be compatible with all soundcards and you can now choose the input too. for the pieces below i wrote my own little "beat detection" routine, but you'll need to calibrate every piece for optimal performance.

http://www.toxi.co.uk/thewell/  
make sure to read the instructions first!

http://www.toxi.co.uk/macronaut/work/liquid.htm
this is still work in progress for an upcoming show, but (if calibrated correctly) has ++better AV synch than "the well". controls are:

hold down SHIFT to show the console/status bar
hold down CTRL as well to show audio details
SPACE to cycle through sound sources at the current device
"D" to cycle through all installed audio devices
"-" / "+" to adjust signal amplification
"[" / "]" to adjust the beat detection threshold

forgot to add you have to click in the shockwave first to give it keyboard focus.

basically the higher the input volume the higher you should set the threshold. on my machine this is usually  between 10 and 35, but unfortunately this varies with every soundcard... if correctly set, the "cells" and the grid should only be retriggered on the beat. you'll have to feel when it's right!

now, your particular question i asked ben when i first found out about P5 and was told that you can easily plug in some of the existing java audio libraries. AFAIK they all require JDK1.4 though, so this might limit your audience online, but apart from that we have to wait for a final word from mr.fry

have fun!
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2003, 7:52pm by toxi »  

http://toxi.co.uk/
flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 7:37pm »

Thanks, Toxi and Bene, I will look into it.  This would not be for anything online just yet.  I am helping out with the visuals for a digital showcase thingy and was hoping to make some P5 pieces that responded to the music being played.  So whatever limitations their might be would be overcome by the fact this is a single machine and would be stacked to the nines.

I recall playing with The Well and being impressed.  Dont have the power on this computer to look at the other one but will check it out at the office.  Exciting stuff Im sure.

I will probably contact you by email, Toxi, to get some more info since this is quickly turning into a conversation about Director.  I am curious to see if PITARU has anything to add because I believe this is an area in which he is familiar.

rock.

flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28th, 2003, 8:26pm »

BTW, 'wow' on the macronaut piece.  Yum.

Paulo

whyklusters WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 3:03pm »

hi

i saw toxi's director stuff and i have to say.. very interesting..it kept me looking at the screen for half an hour

i really would like to know if it's possible to connect a sound from, let's say, an audio cd to a sound reacting processing script

thanks Paulo

aNt

8155230181552301ant001 WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 7th, 2003, 4:45pm »

hello dudes

indeed u can u can do that in Java- or if u cant be messing with Java play with somthing like Amplitued Xtra- it can read files (not realtime mind). I got it all working sweet using Mocha Xtra and a splash of Java. then just did it in java simple..

simple way is to use QuickTime SDK with Java. Get the Movie or Input (SGDevice). With a Movie/mp3/whatever QuickTime player can read (not mp2 or mp1). u can get the movies Track then its SoundMedia. From that grab its SoundMediaHandeler and there u are. Full on sound input levels.

also mess with Panning and Stuff with the sound media handler. tops tops tops.

when it comes to SGDevice its just as simple. U can grab the LevelMeter from the Device bish bosh u have audio levels. send all that to director if u want. or code the lot in java- it draw fast now even on yer mac.. director rocks mind

mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 3:41am »

Quote:
when it comes to SGDevice its just as simple. U can grab the LevelMeter from the Device bish bosh u have audio levels

WOOOHA! This could be REALLY great to see some sample code

I am about to start doing a series of objects-and-their-coexisting-graphics where I will use a microphone as sensory input (mind you, I am not interested in music, speech and the likes) i believe a mic can be used to alot more - in terms of input at least!

ANYWAY,

I could do all of this in Director, but I REALLY wanna do this in Proce55ing...  

CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET THE VOLUME OF THE COMPUTER-MICROPHONE LIVE ?

...I guess with 0065's possibilities of including .jar files, this should be possible (sadly I just don't know how to do it myself!)

p l e a s e

+ mikkel

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »