FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   cyclic universe
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: cyclic universe  (Read 2346 times)
toxi

cyclic universe
« on: Sep 24th, 2004, 7:29pm »

having spent a lot of time away from computers recently, i managed to (re)read some books of my reading "to do" list, one of which was "The Physics of Immortality" by Frank Tipler. It's mainly about his idea of an Omega Point which, in short, describes a theoretical scenario when there'll be infinite computation power available to simulate every possible quantum state of the universe, incl. those which never actually have happened in history...

with this in mind i also remembered an old effect back from demo scene days, called "infinity bobs", an optical illusion of an animation with an ever increasing amount of moving particles without actually slowing down. two old experiments of this are here (shockwave) and there (p5)...

i always also wondered how a 3D setup(*) of this idea might look like, so if you want to find out too, look here...

http://www.toxi.co.uk/p5/ideaspace/

stills and video only, source coming soon. it runs fine in realtime, only needs about 340MB of RAM (in the current resolution with 256 history states).

(*) the history is actually 4D as each particle is moving and so the history also records the moment in time and its movement through the space. then again, i'm only storing 2D images of the transformed 3D space, so go figure...

http://toxi.co.uk/
skloopy

Re: cyclic universe
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 7:44pm »

Wow that looks really sweet! I can't wait to see some of the code behind what's going on in the particle simulation. It looks kind of like a 3d flame fractal or something.

Fish-face

308232952308232952thedemonsheep WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25th, 2004, 2:50pm »

Wow! There's a nice development on ye old inverse-square law.
I could never get the thing from a developing animation into an actual renderer - it was far too slow, and I didn't know enough about the way colours are stored to optimize it. Also, I then couldn't take much advantage of the renderer, because I didn't know how to do simple operations like boosting the midrange/colorising, etc.

Anyways, very nice. I especially like all the cyclic patterns you get out of it - that really does make a flame-esque pattern.

--

The C@ S@ on the M@
=Fish-Face=
~#Chris#~
arielm

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2004, 9:33pm »

hey toxi, great piece for a comeback!

i really like this direction of playing with time and space... looking forward to seeing more of this stuff!

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »