FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   Smoke_simulation_to_Image
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Smoke_simulation_to_Image  (Read 781 times)
Liquid7800

Smoke_simulation_to_Image
« on: Aug 25th, 2004, 11:30pm »

Hi, I am VERY new to Proce55ing and programing in general, but I am trying. I'll post up my first smoke sim (based off of the cool bodytag.org example) but I was wondering would anyone know how to make the particles emitted form a image or graphic? Here is a link based on the subject: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/cglab/research/tdsmoke/

I wonder if processing can do something similar?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2004, 11:32pm by Liquid7800 »  
arielm

Re: Smoke_simulation_to_Image
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:12am »

on Aug 25th, 2004, 11:30pm, Liquid7800 wrote:
I wonder if processing can do something similar

CG (computer graphics) = computing + pixel filling, and since processing gives access to a pixel buffer, it's possible to do virtually anything.

the question is more: will it be "real time" or not, which depends on the complexity of the calculation and on how much optimized things are.

in the link you provided, it seems that the approach is not real-time but rather of computing frames that are later on assembled to a movie.

another remark on that link: they're doing things very mathematically (i.e. using equations) which gives too much synthetic results.

alternatively, a "cellular automata" metaphor can serve as the base for these kind of effects.

finally, you could search this forum for posts by Charles Hinshaw, i remember that he experienced with "particles emitted from an image" a few months ago...

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Liquid7800

Re: Smoke_simulation_to_Image
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:59pm »

I appreciate your response and pointers to the right direction. I am trying to do this effect as a non-realtime render based upon those equations to "move the particles" to the right place. I am more familiar with Maya's own API but wanted to try this with a 2D graphic. I'll keep you poseted with any progress, but I really am enjoying prce55ing.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »