FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   reaction - simulation of disease spreading
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: reaction - simulation of disease spreading  (Read 635 times)
rgovostes

rgovostes
reaction - simulation of disease spreading
« on: Apr 3rd, 2004, 6:55pm »

reaction v1.0

This is a simulation of the Belousov-Zhabotinsky Reaction (info), originally by A. K. Dewdney (described here). It can be thought of as the spread of disease - each iteration, a cell becomes infected, ill, or healthy. Healthy cells become infected, infected cells become more infected (and eventually ill), and ill cells miraculously become healthy again.

Although the pattern starts off with moving diamond shapes, logarithmic spirals quickly emerge. The behavior of the simulation can be altered by changing the "Settings" variables within the code.

In a future version I hope to make more than one color, so that the simulation has more 'depth' to it.

Oh, and, clicking/dragging makes those cells healthy again. They become infected quite quickly, but with persistance you can do neat things like split spirals.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2004, 7:08pm by rgovostes »  
rgovostes

rgovostes
Re: reaction - simulation of disease spreading
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 5:39am »

reaction v2.0

In this version I removed the drag-to-heal feature. To make up for it, I wrote the gradient stuff in - it precalculates a palette and determines the number of states from this.

Additionally, the initial random pattern generated is made with noise() now, so that it would hopefully produce a more organic pattern at the beginning. Now it seems less organic than originally, hmm. The neat emergent spirals don't seem to exist anymore
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2004, 5:42am by rgovostes »  
arielm

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 1:17pm »

well done!

the emmergent spirals and ripples in version 1 are great,

as well as the "look & feel" of version 2...

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
rgovostes

rgovostes
« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 7:41pm »

Thanks!

In version 3, I was thinking about make the disease spreading circular - currently, it just looks at the three to eight surrounding pixels. It would be neat to have it be like an anti-aliased circle around the cell (for lack of a better analogy) - but this might screw it up.

I could also have it wrap - and I might, but I haven't decided yet. It will probably be an option.

I don't think it actually looks like the Belousov-Zhabotinsky Reaction (which is supposed to have concentric circles) but hey it's still cool.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »