FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   visualizing metabolic networks (2d->3d)
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: visualizing metabolic networks (2d->3d)  (Read 717 times)
Joel Moxley
Email
visualizing metabolic networks (2d->3d)
« on: Oct 1st, 2003, 5:33pm »

Hi everyone!  I'm very new to processing, so please bear with me.

I was hoping to use yalls expertise on new ways to depict metabolic networks.  I want to take flat metabolic network (nodes and edges) and add a third dimension by assigning an additional attribute to each node.  For example, you could imagine a flat metabolic network made 3d by including reductive potential of each of the molecules.

Histogram looked most applicable.  Can you offer any advice or sample files that I can work from?  I figure I'll need to assign an x,y to nodes from a flat network, then add the z attributes, and then depict them.

If you are kind enough to reply, please bear in mind that while I'm a decent programmer, I've got almost no background in Java/processing image rendering.  I've been tooling around looking for good places and starter files to "jump in", but I hope yall can help me get off to the right start.  In other words, can yall recommend a good way to get started?

Many thanks!

Joel

Elrick

Re: visualizing metabolic networks (2d->3d)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 8:06pm »

Hi.

By far, the easiest way to get used to processing (or any programming language, I think) is to see what other people have done, see how they did it, and try and duplicate it.  This way you get a goal, a method, and experience all at once.  As far as imaging goes, processing is so incredibly easy..  Read through the pixel, image, and 3d reference categories.. There's not much to it.

More specifically to your problem:  I don't know exactly where you're sitting, but a good way to start, I think, would be to search these forums for nodes and classes or objects, and get a feel for how they work.

Beyond that I can't offer a lot... I don't know what a metabolic network is.  Heeh.

Have fun!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »