FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   Chaotic Icon
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Chaotic Icon  (Read 713 times)
JohnG

Chaotic Icon
« on: Sep 30th, 2003, 5:39pm »

Many years ago, I read a book called "Symmetry in Chaos" which contained some very attractive images, which had just been created by a simple iterative system.
What happens is you run a point on the imaginary plane (x+iy) through the formula, see where it end up, and increase the hit count for the pixel that that point is on the screen.
Repeat this a few million times, and you have a "chaotic icon"
This is my first Java version, but I have done some large (8192x8192, 2billion iteration) images in C++ before, the problem with those is that the program had to be re-run with any change to the variables used in the formula, which isn't good for trying to find new and interesting shapes.

So this is my first interactive version.. still needs tweaking to make the numbers typable, rather than just having up/down increments available. And I need to find my old palette routine to convert hits into colors, so it's not just greyscale as it is at the moment.

Anyway, the URL: http://www.hardcorepawn.com/chaos

This is fairly processor intensive, as it does 100,000 iterations between screen updates.

Dont worry that the source loks fairly bad, it's jus t adirect port of the BASIC code that was in the back of the book I mentioned at the top.

arielm

Re: Chaotic Icon
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 9:26pm »

mostly beautiful!

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »