FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   Tanaw
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Tanaw  (Read 1310 times)
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
Tanaw
« on: Mar 18th, 2003, 5:54pm »

"The thrust for visualizing the Philippine Internet routing tables is mainly to provide a simple means for researchers, Internet Service Providers, and other people to determining the level of interconnectivity (peering) among the major service providers in the country. The researchers believe that this information can be vital to making decisions with regards to selecting ISPs for business connections, identifying areas needing peering, and the like." (Ledesma, 2003)

Tanaw \ Visualizing the Philippine Internet

http://www.instituteofmedia.com/vis2/vis2.html

Please do note that Tanaw is still at a very alpha stage. If you have any comments, suggestions or anything, please feel free to post them here. Thanks.

pollux

WWW Email
Re: Tanaw
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2003, 6:44am »

regarding tanaw, it is a very interesting piece of work, as i am also interested in information display models.  

since i am quite new both to java and P5, i was wondering how an arrangement like that can be done by java/P5 coding. and since i assume code must have a non-disclosure policy, i wonder if you could explain perhaps excerpts or a basic, general explanation on how to put together, link to data streams, and navigate such an arrangement.

i have project for an online link database visualisation tool, until now implemented in flash/director (you can see an out-of-the-context prototype @ http://www.00forward.com/projects/010/ assembled in flash), and i started thinking (right now) on the possibility of implementing it in java.

sorry if i'm asking too much. cheers.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2003, 6:44am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Martin

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2003, 5:34pm »

thanks for asking. i'm not releasing the code yet because as of now, it's a real mess (with all those comments and i still have to fix a lot of stuff).

regarding the arrangement, p5 uses bagel (ben's own) and can translate the canvas space three dimensionally, so it's pretty straight-forward. in java, you'd have to deal with stack matrix stuff, else, use java3d (and use either opengl or directx).

regarding the data stream, if you'll use p5, you can just use loadStream(), loadStrings() or loadBytes() conforming to what you want to do. in java, you can do io via importing java.io.* ... there's DataInputStream and ObjectInputStream for starters...

the current tanaw is a tremendously rough sketch. i have to find time to write something nicer... the parent nodes must properly link to their corresponding child nodes. thus, giving a tree structure. however, it'll be a graph since i'm considering the loops too. a depth and breadth search algorithm will be implemented here.

navigation would revolve around the world space. one thing i'll be implementing would be the shifting of the world space's center based on the current selected object such that it's a magnified object space.

on a macroscopic level, i'd want to give the user a feeling that he/she is in the center and be able to manipulate floating objects in space, if u get what i mean...

nice work ... you might want to look at schoenerwissen's work in the p5 software section on visualizing databases.

did i make any sense?

it's our finals right now and been bogged down with heavy coursework requirements (papers, projects, exams, etc)... so if u'll pardon me

thanks.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 6:34am »

thanxs martin.

i just ate your words, they'll take some time to be digested. maybe i can show you something when i have, er..., something done...

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Martin

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 1:45pm »

no prob. looking forward to what u come up with.

Update as of Mar 21 2003 8:45PM PHT

Tanaw is now mapping the WHOLE Philippine Internet from the data being thrown by NetMapper. As of this time of writing, Tanaw is visualizing 20,181 nodes. Tanaw will be fixed very soon to accomodate the amount of data displayed. To see an image of the graph of the whole network, click here

Feature article regarding Tanaw's mom, NetMapper, is up at The Philippine STAR, a local broadsheet daily.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2003, 1:47pm by Martin »  
Martin

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 6:36pm »

Whoops. It turns out that I'm mapping not the whole Philippine Internet but rather the WHOLE Internet itself. Ugh. hehehe... Fixing it right now.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 9:11pm »

Tanaw now visualizes the whole Philippine Internet, based on the nodes that are alive. No more, no less. No more redundant nodes. Each node is a main route queried using the Border Gateway Protocol. Map sketch starts from the Ateneo de Manila University's point of view (Ateneo = Origin Node).

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 4:53pm »

lookin better all the time

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »