FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   Community, Collaboration, Status
(Moderator: REAS)
   Status 20 January 2004
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Status 20 January 2004  (Read 903 times)
fry

Status 20 January 2004
« on: Jan 20th, 2004, 2:19pm »

status on the software (as opposed to web site or organizational matters)..

the (much talked about, never seen) in-progress switch to multi-file support basically requires a near-complete rewrite of major parts of processing. so far these things seem to be done: 1) the tabs for multiple files and 2) building code with multiple files. what remains: 1) changing the file i/o to work with and without sketchbook and 2) debugging to make sure things work 3) re-implementing history to work with multiple files (this may be delayed until after 68 ).  

in the end it's 1) requiring more time than i'd like 2) badly subject to interruptions since it larger blocks of time to stare at the code 3) makes me a little scared because it makes p5 more like an ide than i might like and 4) if all goes well, could be the super greatest thing you've ever seen and neither you nor i will ever want to use another ide ever again.

i still don't expect 68 to be done yet this week, but i'm working hard on it and trying to get it finished up. i'm looking forward to the new feature set, and from the editor side, this will be the last set of major changes prior to beta and 1.0. on the graphics engine side, there needs to be a semi-overhaul in a similar manner. not sure if/when/how this will all happen before i defend my dissertation towards the end of march.

i'm also somewhat tempted to do a release of 68 that doesn't include all this new stuff, but instead fixes a few bugs like 1) case-sensitive find locking up the ide 2) includes support for umlauts in fonts, and 3) fixes the concave/convex polygon issue. then this thing i keep calling 68 will instead be 69 (dude) or later.

in other news, casey and i are super excited about the move to processing.org. yeehaa!

previous status report:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/board_Collaboration_action__display_num_1073248154.html
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2004, 3:34pm by fry »  
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »