FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   OS X managed user can' run Processing
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: OS X managed user can' run Processing  (Read 734 times)
swany
Email
OS X managed user can' run Processing
« on: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:43am »

setup a managed user (some limits) under os 10.3.2 - Processing (rev 006 app works ok until the managed user account is setup to restrict access to some applications using the "this user can only use these applications" option.
the managed user can't run Processing (not enough permissions) - tried the "allow all" option but Processing still won't run unless the "this user can only use these applications" option is disabled.

fry

Re: OS X managed user can' run Processing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 3:10pm »

i'm not familiar with managed user accounts on p5, but it's probably something we need to support for computer labs, so..  

processing makes use of multiple applications, so you'll have to enable access to Processing.app, jikes (in that same folder), java (in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework...) and perhaps others before it will run. have you enabled all of those?

swany
Email
« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 4:10pm »

the problem occurs when the managed user is setup as a "Some Limits" user. By default, the option "This user can only use these applications:" isn't selected and p5 works ok when logged in as the managed user.
When the option "This user can only use these applications:" is selected, a list of applications/utilities appears. You can the select the apps that user has access to.  
The problem is is that the tick put against the Processing app isn't saved. when i come out off the accounts manager and go back in, the tick i put against Processing is gone!

fry

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 8:24pm »

on Mar 8th, 2004, 4:10pm, swany wrote:
The problem is is that the tick put against the Processing app isn't saved. when i come out off the accounts manager and go back in, the tick i put against Processing is gone!

wouldn't that be an osx bug or is there something that needs to be done to processing to make it "restricted access aware"

swany
Email
« Reply #4 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 10:36am »

i found the following info on Apple's website:-
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@175.E5dWazTgdNF.6@.599f079d/0

it refers to adding bundle identifiers to applications:-

"This issue was caused for me by my applescript app not having a bundle identifier (my fault as rookie Developer!). Rather than follow the knowledge base directions to alter the Netinfo database to allow all unbundled apps to run when in limited application access, I simply read the release notes for CFBundle and added a Bundle Identifier to the Info.plist file in my app. i.e. add a line like  
CFBundleIdentifier = "com.xyz.myappname";  
where the 'xyz' part is your own URL domain and the semi-colon matters. (Or use the plist editor to add this property.)  

Adding this one line to the info.plist file made the limited application access work."

mohn

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 4:40pm »

yep - you need to have a CFBundlerIdentifier entry in the plist for the app. you can fix this by editing the processing info.plist file to include the CFBundlerIdentifier as 'net.processing.processing'. your tick will mysteriously stay put ... right click app > show package contents > contents > edit info.plist.

fry

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 5:45pm »

ah great.. thanks for tracking this down, guys. it's an easy fix so i'll get that into the next rev.

swany
Email
« Reply #7 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 5:52pm »

i added the lines
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>net.processing.processing</string>
to Processing's info.plist file and it now works.

I had to give the managed user admin rights to install the application. Once the managed user's rights/application permissions were restricted, processing worked.

thanks for all the help getting this working

fry

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 8:26pm »

added for 69.. thanks again for tracking it down.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »