FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   memory / run-expert.bat / processes / code folder
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: memory / run-expert.bat / processes / code folder  (Read 934 times)
TomC

memory / run-expert.bat / processes / code folder
« on: Mar 7th, 2004, 11:42pm »

I'm using run-expert.bat under Windows 2000 to give more memory to my sketches. I'm keeping some external classes in the code folder.

Unfortunately, because the use of the code folder makes processing run programs as a new process (I think), the extra memory allowance isn't passed on.  Is this possible to fix?

At the moment I've fixed it by cutting and pasting all my classes into the main processing window, but I'd rather not.

arielm

Re: memory / run-expert.bat / processes / code fol
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 1:04am »

on Mar 7th, 2004, 11:42pm, TomC wrote:
Unfortunately, because the use of the code folder makes processing run programs as a new process (I think), the extra memory allowance isn't passed on.  Is this possible to fix

not sure i'm subscribing to this thought (but fry will probably enlight us soon on the subject),

i think that whatever class is in the code folder: it is "normally" used (i.e. the same way as, say, the "Bimage" class) by the "BApplet" class (which seems to be the only "process" running), no

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
TomC

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 1:51am »

on Mar 8th, 2004, 1:04am, arielm wrote:

not sure i'm subscribing to this thought (but fry will probably enlight us soon on the subject),

i think that whatever class is in the code folder: it is "normally" used (i.e. the same way as, say, the "Bimage" class) by the "BApplet" class (which seems to be the only "process" running), no

Not sure.  When using the code folder, after hitting run there is a separate java.exe process reported by the windows task manager (as well as javaw.exe which belongs to Processing) where the CPU and memory usage reflect my sketch.  If I don't use the code folder, then javaw.exe runs by itself, and its CPU and memory usage reflect my sketch+processing.

Also, using Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory() / Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() reports different values - using just javaw.exe (no code folder), those methods report what I have requested using run-expert.bat, but when a separate process is used (triggered by code folder) those methods report ~64m (default).

Hope that clears up the description of the problem.

arielm

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 2:42am »

ah, okay...

can you describe what you have in your code folder?

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
TomC

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:32am »

Yep, there's nothing in the code folder.  ie, the code folder's existence alone determines the behaviour.  It's the same whether the code folder has anything in it or not.

Can be demonstrated with this one-liner:

Code:

println("max mem: " + Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory());

No code folder gives: 532742144 (I requested 512m)
Code folder gives: 66650112
(Applet gives: 99942400)
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:35am by TomC »  
fry

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 3:07pm »

arrr.. nuts..  

you're right, there's no way to increase the memory size for things run with a code folder. and you're also right that it's launching out to a separate java/jre.

anyhoo.. it's an easy thing to add, so i'll get a quick hack in there for 69 that will just be something that you can set in lib/pde.properties.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2004, 3:19pm by fry »  
fry

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 9:29pm »

fix is in there for bug fix release rev 69.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »