FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   flicker
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: flicker  (Read 1070 times)
flight404

WWW Email
flicker
« on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 7:23am »

I have noticed with build 67 on OSX 10.3.2 the following problem/bug:

When I run an example within the Processing application, there is a temporary flicker for an undesignated amount of time. It tends to happen for about 5 to 15 seconds after hitting the 'run' button. It seems to look like a slight redraw problem, but it even extends to the resize tab in the lower right of the window.  I haven't figured out how to make it stop (dragging the window and cursor input doesn't seem to have an effect on the problem) but it does always stop after a few seconds.

I poked around and didn't see any specific mention of this problem. Has anyone else encountered this?

robert

--update--
Actually, I just double checked on my other Mac running the same version of Processing and OS and the problem is not there.  Hmm.  I will notify if I can figure out if this problem is due to an application conflict or some other process going on behind the scenes.  

skloopy

Re: flicker
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 8:43pm »

I get that flickering too, in P5 and in Safari on 10.3.1

Sometimes in P5 I hit run and the sketch runs fine except only a 10x20 rectangle in the upper left corner and a 10x10 rectangle in the lower left are visible, and everything else is white. I goes away if i just hit run 1 or 2 more times.

flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2004, 9:12pm »

I have noticed the corner-squares bug as well.  Hmm.

fry

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 6:00pm »

i've been noticing the flicker on apps that use the graphics engine. i'm wondering if it's trying to update too many times when the applet first gets started.  

macosx has a tendency to update too much, so for something like p5 which calls for new updates itself, it may be overkill, and the applet can't keep up, causing flicker.

fry

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 6:26pm »

(that said, i've made a note to look into both)

fry

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 1:07am »

on Jan 5th, 2004, 6:00pm, fry wrote:
i've been noticing the flicker on apps that use the graphics engine. i'm wondering if it's trying to update too many times when the applet first gets started.  

macosx has a tendency to update too much, so for something like p5 which calls for new updates itself, it may be overkill, and the applet can't keep up, causing flicker.
it is in fact both of these things, particularly the latter... the threads get out of sync with one another and so the applet tries to paint itself four times before loop() can even finish.. now to fix..

fry

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14th, 2004, 4:18pm »

i've found and fixed the bug.  

seems that macosx didn't like our painting method, and so each time a p5 applet would update itself, the system would send half a dozen update messages to the applet, causing things to get very confused. hopefully the fix will work across the other platforms as well.

flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27th, 2004, 1:27am »

Until the next build is released, I have come across a 'fix' for this problem.  Not really a fix, but if you are doing a lot of testing and are frustrated by waiting for the flicker to stop, this will help.

On Mac OS X running Processing v68, when running an applet in the Processing environment, if the flicker occurs, click and hold on the x to close the window. After about a second, the flicker stops. Drag the mouse back into the applet and release.  Works about 95% of the time.

I think it works within a browser as well. But haven't tried that much.

r

mattgilbert

tangramkid WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 7:31am »

on Feb 14th, 2004, 4:18pm, fry wrote:
i've found and fixed the bug.  

seems that macosx didn't like our painting method, and so each time a p5 applet would update itself, the system would send half a dozen update messages to the applet, causing things to get very confused. hopefully the fix will work across the other platforms as well.

has this fix been included in the releases yet (as of 0068 ) I'm working on a project now that gets lots of flicker, and i'm not sure if I'm just asking to much of the processing setup. I have a program that was originally written in java, but I translated it into processing in hopes of using the much easier sonia stuff to work with sound. The program now not only flickers a lot, but it is slowed down a lot as well. Is it normal for things to run slower in processing than in native java or is it most likely slowed down just by all the excessive updating I didn't have to make very many changes to my code to have it work in processing, so i'm sure it didn't just become less efficient in the translation.

thanks,

Matt
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2004, 7:32am by mattgilbert »  
mohn

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 4:22pm »

0068 was released feb 4 2004 (http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/board_Proce55ing_software__bugs_action_display_num_1075832426.html). this bug fix should be in 0069. unfortunately 0069 will not be release until april as mentioned above. ben is working on his dissertation.

flight404 - how did you come up with that fix! ? - phew.

-mohn

mattgilbert

tangramkid WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 6:49pm »

thanks a lot for clearing that up, mohn.

that weird fix with the x button will work for now.

Matt

fry

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 9:37pm »

fix is in there for rev 69, a "use at your own risk" release.

flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 9:38pm »

I came up with the fix because I always had a sneaky suspicion that the flicker would fix itself the very second I decided to give up.  So I set up a trap to try and catch it and was happily surprised to see that the act of closing it was enough to make it behave.  Not entirely unlike the collapse of an electron's probability wave the very moment you try to measure its position... well, okay, maybe not, but it works and I am certain it works for applets being viewed through a browser as well.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »