FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Trouble with QuickTime for Java?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Trouble with QuickTime for Java?  (Read 486 times)
fry

Trouble with QuickTime for Java?
« on: Sep 18th, 2003, 1:16am »

this is a temporary problem (err, bug).. what happens is that if quicktime is installed before (or without) java, then the variable that describes where quicktime is installed (the "QTJAVA" environment variable if that means anything to you) is wrong.  

if you're on a win2k or winxp machine, go to control panels -> system -> advanced -> environment variables, and edit the QTJAVA reference to point to the actual location of QTJava.zip on your drive. this will usually be C:\windows\system32\qtjava.zip on xp, but adjust as necessary.  

if you're on win98 or winme, modify the line in c:\autoexec.bat that says something like:
set QTJAVA=blahblah\qtjava.zip  
to something like  
set QTJAVA=c:\windows\system\qtjava.zip  
i don't remember the exact syntax, but there should be a line like that in there. the path listed is probably something strange. find a copy of qtjava.zip and put its full path in there.

it's really a bug in how quicktime is installed, but it's so common, that we have to find a workaround for processing (disabling video support is more difficult than one might guess, otherwise we'd do that temporarily until we get it fixed).

this is a top priority to fix for the next release.  

and please post here if my description isn't clear, or if you have to do other steps to get things working.

fry

Re: Trouble with QuickTime for Java?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 1:38am »

the new solution is to download the latest revision (60 and higher), which is available from the same location.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2003, 7:07pm by fry »  
fry

Re: Trouble with QuickTime for Java?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 8:08pm »

this fix is old, and there are since many other problems with quicktime for java, so i'm closing/retiring this particular thread.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »