FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   P5 is crashing on win2000
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: P5 is crashing on win2000  (Read 626 times)
mKoser

WWW Email
P5 is crashing on win2000
« on: Aug 28th, 2002, 2:41pm »

I have now had P5 installed for some time, and have also spent quite a few hours playing with it - every now and then, it freezes my machine, and i have to force-quit... I have tried finding a pattern in the crashes, but i can't really say that i have succeeded, my best guess is, that it crashes when I am not saving regularly... but the crach does not appear untill i click on 'run'....

...has anyone else on a win2000 system, crash-problems?

cheers,
Mikkel

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
fry

Re: P5 is crashing on win2000
« Reply #1 on: Sep 1st, 2002, 10:38pm »

hmm.. i've run into the locking up just a little bit.. it seems to be something related to threading but very difficult to track down since it's so difficult to reproduce. if anyone can track down exactly what does it, or a way to reproduce it consistently, that would be really helpful.

mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Sep 4th, 2002, 2:11pm »

recently my system has been nice to me ...i've started deleting the history regularly, and saving VERY often ... which results in no crashed the last week (well... only one or two!)...

previously to installing P5, i had Java SDK 1.4.1 installed... don't know if this might cause any conflicts?

- mikkel

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
fry

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2002, 8:37pm »

i've fixed a little bit of the crash/lockup stuff in the version that will become 45, though i don't know if i've gotten to everything.

i'm not sure what deleting history would do for stability, but who knows.

also, other versions of java being installed should cause problems, since p5 uses its own copy (the primary reason that the download is so huge).

zeitgeist

Email
« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 3:09am »

i'm experiencing the same thing here tonight (P5 0004, win2k, pIII 450)

oddly, the jre icon isn't appearing in my systray, which is unusual, not sure if this is related.

there is no pattern to it .. i'm just trying to overlay some colored spheres and it ramdomly locks up .. rebooted earlier today so i'm pretty sure it's not a memory leak or something crazy.

fry

« Reply #5 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 4:34pm »

icon not in the systray meaning that the p5 icon isn't next to "Proce55ing" in the tray? or that the application itself doesn't even show up in the tray?

and i assume you mean release 44, not 04, otherwise you might be having all kinds of trouble

zeitgeist

Email
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2002, 5:42pm »

hehe

0044 (*blush*)

the icon i am talking about is a java icon in the systray .. when java kicks up on my computer, through proce55ing or just a java based web site, a jre icon appears in my systray and now that's not appearing.

i was gone all weekend, so haven't tried it again, but i think i'm just gonna reinstall p5 and see where that gets me.

fry

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 8:26pm »

the new rev 46 is a little better about freezing up. it still has some problems, but i found a handful of bugs that were causing it to freeze in different situations. more of these will be fixed in future releases as i can find/replicate them.

fry

« Reply #8 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 6:48am »

has anyone seen this bug recently?

arielm

« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 10:01am »

on win2k...

bagel is freezing the whole system, from time to time (very hard to find a pattern...)

i'm "accusing" bagel, since all this can happen within the ide but also within any other context (browser, eclipse...)

i never reported this bug, since my old asus p3bf motherboard is well-known for freezing under stress situations (like photoshop's fast-memory blits).

but i don't know if the 2 things are related...

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
fry

« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 3:22pm »

yikes.. there's nothing that should be doable from java that should freeze the whole system (unless maybe there's some sort of awful thread deadlock happening).

anyone else have any troubles like this?

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »