FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Cursor in 0047
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 3 
   Author  Topic: Cursor in 0047  (Read 1633 times)
fry

Re: Cursor in 0047
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25th, 2003, 9:29pm »

interesting.. though frustrating that it may be out of our control. i wonder what the other apps could be doing to cause trouble. are you using the standard or expert version?  

does this fix work for anyone else? what sorts of java apps are y'all using?

fry

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25th, 2003, 9:32pm »

just a thought.. did you have jedit installed? (or another app that perhaps uses jedit's syntax package?)

i wonder if the caret handler thread is clashing w/ something else.

tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27th, 2003, 2:38am »

Man, I wish I could help... This one is for sure: It was the identical P5, JRE and W2K with SP3 that exhibited the problem before and that stopped doing that after some moving things around. Nope, I did not have JEdit at all. My machine has a large number of applications installed, so I can't even start guessing which one it could have collided with. During the clean up I noticed that I had multiple versions and multiple builds of the same JREs (and JDKs), so I would vote this being a primary suspect. I was using expert version in both cases.

I will pay attention and if the problem returns I will post more hints...

fry

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27th, 2003, 5:47am »

on Feb 27th, 2003, 2:38am, tomek wrote:
During the clean up I noticed that I had multiple versions and multiple builds of the same JREs (and JDKs), so I would vote this being a primary suspect. I was using expert version in both cases.

hmm, this could be a clue. a big one. scooby-doo sized.

for others having the missing caret problem, are you using the expert version

a hypothesis.. if jre 1.3 is the 'default' (whichever jre is installed last becomes the default, from what i can tell), then the caret dies because the editor expects mouse wheel to work (which requires jre 1.4). sooo.. as the editor is getting set up and looking for mousewheel, things punt (throws an exception internally) and leave the editor partially broken.

can anyone verify this is it only the expert users having trouble with the caret and if so, does the 'standard' version cause the same problem

Ariel Malka
Email
« Reply #19 on: Mar 2nd, 2003, 1:25pm »

same missing cursor problem on my machine (win2000 + proce55ing 051)

note: i have one JRE and another JDK installed (both of them are 1.4)

(it's a real mess, i hope to be able to uninstall / re-install everything and see if it fixes the problem)

Ariel Malka
Email
« Reply #20 on: Mar 2nd, 2003, 2:10pm »

it's me again (see previous message)...

after uninstalling everything related to java on my machine (win2000) and reinstalling (JDK 1.4.1), the problem is still here!

Ariel Malka
Email
« Reply #21 on: Mar 2nd, 2003, 2:24pm »

just a thought...

if you are a new p5 user and:
- you didn't happen to look inside the pde.properties file (and see there the "caret blinking and caret color" entry)
- you never saw this thread about a missing cursor

p5's ui giving the impression of something "innovative", you could easily think that the absence of a cursor is normal...

okay, my bottom-line: this missing cursor problem could be more widely spread than it sounds...

arielm

« Reply #22 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 1:02am »

well, about my previous thought about some of the new users finding it normal not to have a caret...

now that i finally started coding with p5 (without a caret), i think it was a totally stupid theory...

at least, i hope it had make some of you laugh...

ariel

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
fry

« Reply #23 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 4:15pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2003, 2:24pm, Ariel Malka wrote:
okay, my bottom-line: this missing cursor problem could be more widely spread than it sounds...

oh, i have no doubts as to it being quite widespread.. i'm just stumped about how to fix it because i've never run across it. it's the top bug right now but i just can't get it to show up on my machine.

can anyone verify that the missing caret problem also happens with the 'standard' version as opposed to the 'expert' one

arielm

« Reply #24 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 5:33pm »

yes, after uninstalling all the existing java VMs on my machine (win2k), and running the standard version of p5: the caret is still missing...

fry

« Reply #25 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 8:17pm »

rats.. i was hoping we were on to something..

well, if anyone has other hypotheses on what's going on, i'd be happy to hear.. i'm back to stumped.  

the only clues at this point are:

1. the caret reappears in 'insert' mode
2. the problem only exists on windows
3. the caret reappears briefly after a resize
4. a deinstall/reinstall of several things worked for tomek

but...

1. i can't get it to show up on any of my machines
2. doesn't seem to be tied to expert vs standard
3. font selection in pde.properties also has no bearing
4. not a video problem, because video accel being turned off didn't help

anyone with more thoughts/interesting findings?

has anyone with the problem tried turning *off* the blinking by setting  
editor.program.caret.blink=false
(instead of true) inside pde.properties? if it's related to the function for blinking, this would just give a solid caret.

arielm

« Reply #26 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 12:23am »

1) playing with "editor.program.caret.blink" doesn't help...

2) concerning the caret that reappears in "insert mode": it's not really a caret but an "underscore" character...

3) the caret does (almost) work as intended, BUT only for column 0:

- at startup (or after a ctrl-n), one can see the caret because we are at column 0, but as soon as you either: press the right-arrow key or start to type something, it disappears (note that if you are still on the same line and press "home" or come back to column 0 with the left-arrow key then the caret is showing-back)

- when you create a new line by pressing "enter": this time the caret is NOT showing (eventhough we are at column 0), but then if you press "home" or try to type something and then come back to column 0 with the left-arrow key then this time the caret is showing)

- whenever you use the mouse to click at line x/ column 0, the caret is showing...

- when opening a file (or creating a new one), line 0 is selected by default but the caret is NOT ALWAYS showing at column 0: the case where it doesn't work is when you are asked to "save the current existing file" and you have to use the "yes/no/cancel" buttons to go further...

aalmos

Email
« Reply #27 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 3:52pm »

Hi  
I had the same problem on XP with JRE,SE v_1.4.0_03
After installing the latest JRE (v_1.4.1_02) the problem was solved. Hope this helps
a

fry

« Reply #28 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 6:00pm »

on Mar 4th, 2003, 3:52pm, aalmos wrote:
After installing the latest JRE (v_1.4.1_02) the problem was solved.

can anyone with the problem verify you would need to be using the 'expert' version to make it use another java installation, or if you've already downloaded the standard version, just rename the 'java' folder to something else.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2003, 6:01pm by fry »  
arielm

« Reply #29 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 6:44pm »

i'm also after a clean install of v1.4.1_02 (win2k) but the caret is still missing...

Pages: 1 2 3 

« Previous topic | Next topic »