FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Proce55ing 0050 Released !
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Proce55ing 0050 Released !  (Read 452 times)
fry

Proce55ing 0050 Released !
« on: Jan 26th, 2003, 9:48pm »

windows and linux versions are up there, and the macos versions will arrive within 30 minutes to an hour, once my iPoo finishes complaining about "This computer was not shut down properly." (even though it was responsible for the improper shutdown when it forgot where to find its battery)

news of this release won't be sent out to everyone, only announced here on the site. 0050 may be coming within a day or two to deal with the 'known bugs' as well.

ABOUT REV 0049 - 26 january 2003

a release of p5 to honor the national tv advertising holiday
known as the super bowl in the united states.

[ feature additions ]  

- lots of new examples (some may have issues, see 'known bugs' below)

- code with beauty and grace: new coloring for syntax and the editor,
  fancied up to work more like the p5 site itself.  

- loadImage and loadStream now support http:// URLs (thanks to glen
  for pointing out the omission

- framerate() is a function that always returns the current frame rate
  as a float.  

- framrate(float num) sets the framerate to a specific number. it can
  be used inside setup() or even inside loop(). framerate(0) ressets
  back to the maximum possible framerate.

- new math functions: ceil, floor, and round all work on floats.

[ bug fixes ]  

- attempt has been made to fix the disappearing caret bug. i haven't
  been able to reproduce this on my win2k machine, so i don't know if
  it's fixed.. you'll have to let me know.

- pmouseX and pmouseY are now colored like their siblings mouseX and
  mouseY (thanks benelek)

- pmouseX and pmouseY now get set the very first time mouseX and
  mouseY are set, which might help remove some "if (firstTime)" code
  in a couple of projects.

- fixing the print() weirdness uncovered a bug with long lines in the
  console.  

[ between bug and feature ]  

- nicer looking default html for exporting. that old stuff was
  embarrassing. we had hoped it would be too embarrassing for anyone
  to use, but we were wrong. so we've improved the default.

- print() now shows things on the console, even without a println().
  thanks to mike davis and others for pointing this out.

- delay() should no longer slurp up cpu time and make your machine
  flip out. also, it doesn't run on the first time through loop(),
  making things a little smoother. (thanks to glen murphy for the
  report)

[ known bugs ]

- some examples seem to be broken, this will be ironed out for 0050

- a couple tweaks with the syntax of 'color' statements are needed,
  this is related to the above
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2003, 4:48pm by fry »  
fry

Re: Proce55ing 0049 Released
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2003, 10:13pm »

alright, the mac versions are up there now.  

time to go find a someone at the genius bar who can tell me why apple gave me an ibook that doesn't like its battery and get some taco bell at the food court. welcome to the cambridgeside galleria, everyone.

i've also moved some of several of the items from this board into 'bug fixes' (only the ones that are fixed, i promise) and others to the syntax or programs boards, since they dealt with the joys of programming moreso than the joys emanating from the use of pre-release software.

have fun everybody!

Josh Nimoy

jtnimoy WWW Email
Re: Proce55ing 0049 Released
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 7:37am »

0049 is absolutely beautiful.

"Export to web" works great - except the auto-generated default HTML file is missing quotation marks in the darnedest place. A line from the default HTML file:

... applet code="image_example_1 archive="image_example_1.jar ...

should be

... applet code="image_example_1" archive="image_example_1.jar" ...

fry

Re: Proce55ing 0050 Released !
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 4:50pm »

awright, so that was a particularly nasty bug, so it's been fixed and a new release has been posted as 0050. nothing else is changed in 0050.

thankfully nimoy found it before too many folks had downloaded 49.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 1:25pm »

on Jan 26th, 2003, 9:48pm, fry wrote:
- attempt has been made to fix the disappearing caret bug. i haven't
  been able to reproduce this on my win2k machine, so i don't know if
  it's fixed.. you'll have to let me know.

not yet fixed. still not visible. am on win2k pro, jdk1.4
---
hmm... what happened to the old color scheme hehe. anyway, the interface looks like this site
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2003, 1:26pm by Martin »  
tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2003, 4:06pm »

I just installed 0051 after a long break of not having time to play with Proce55ing. Looking good! This is becoming a really complete tool.

Now, the disappearing carret bug is definetely a bummer. I checked if it had something to do with the color schemes, current line highlight or color depth of the video card setting, but no luck...

The previous version I used was 0044 and no such problem. The system is Windows 2000 Professional.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like my assistance to track it down.

fry

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2003, 1:50am »

the caret thing definitely stinks. i plan to have some time to work on p5 later in the week, so i'll move that to the top of the list of things to track down and fix. thanks for looking into it further.

tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2003, 3:47pm »

I updated my system with Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000 and JRE 1.4.1_01 and the carret problem is still here. I will attempt to use another type of machine with W2K later this week to do the same and see if this might be something hardware related (graphics card?). I will post the test results here if I get to do it.

tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2003, 3:10am »

Hmm... I just did the installation of 0051 on yet another W2K machine and the carret is working just fine. The same service pack for Windows and the same JRE as above, but the hardware is completely different. Ben, I can send you the machine details if you think it can help you find the problem.

fry

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19th, 2003, 2:47pm »

could someone post a couple scenarios of how you get the caret to disapper? i.e. "type in text area, then hit play and the caret never comes back.." or if it's just while typing, or ...

i've still never seen it here, which makes it slow going to fix it.. but it's clearly a bad problem so we need to take care of it.

tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19th, 2003, 4:30pm »

My scenario is simple: You can see it only in the very first column of the editor. If you move it anywhere to the right it becomes invisible. It does work in a sense that you can edit, but you don't see it where it is until you start typing. The problem is permanent on my machine and it appears right from the start up.

fry

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24th, 2003, 6:22am »

on Feb 19th, 2003, 4:30pm, tomek wrote:
My scenario is simple: You can see it only in the very first column of the editor. If you move it anywhere to the right it becomes invisible. It does work in a sense that you can edit, but you don't see it where it is until you start typing. The problem is permanent on my machine and it appears right from the start up.

two things to try..

first, to see if it's the video card, trying going to your display settings/advanced, and set in the 'troubleshooting' tab, set hardware acceleration to none. then boot up p5 and see if you're still having the problem.

second, have you changed the font in pde.properties if by some chance you've moved to something other than a monospaced font, you might be having trouble. by the same token, if you haven't changed the font to begin with, you might try changing it to something else and checking to see if you have the same trouble.

also, do selections work i.e. can you drag and select a chunk of text and have it do that normally, even though the li'l blinker never shows up

ps, let's move the discussion over to the other thread about the same issue: http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_Proce55ing_software__bugs_action_display_num_1041962296.html
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2003, 6:41am by fry »  
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »