FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   Community, Collaboration, Status
(Moderator: REAS)
   Introductions
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  16
   Author  Topic: Introductions  (Read 33430 times)
kryptondog

kryptondog903 WWW
Re: Introductions
« Reply #105 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 7:42pm »

Hiya.

I'm James LaBove.  I live in southeast Texas (ugh), and I'm going to be starting college in a matter of weeks.  I'm going to be attending Lamar University, where I will be studying graphic design and computer programming.

When I was 13 I first started learning the ins and outs of desktop publishing programs, and within a year of that I was publishing a local magazine called Fathom that lasted for around four years.  In addition to learning how to use Quark Xpress and Adobe Photoshop, I started learning HTML to design the magazine's website.  

I focus most of my creative energy on web design now.  Since the start of this year, any design I put out uses XHTML markup, with content seperated from presentation (including presentational tables) through CSS.  I'm also proficient in PHP and SQL, and I have a working knowledge of EMCAScript and Python.  I also use Flash, but... blegh.

Right now I'm in the process of helping assemble a band (called Stardust) and my mind just went wild with thoughts of all the neat stuff I can do with Processing.  I saw the article about in Wired, and it really piqued my interest.  After viewing the examples though, I was blown away.  Literally EVERYTHING I've ever wanted to do with Flash but couldn't can be done with Processing.  I'm very excited to have discovered this, and I'm also excited to be a part of this community.

olblucat

« Reply #106 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 10:44pm »

I am called olblucat or Mick. I am a 58 year old semi-retired contractor from Colorado. I  was handed a 17 inch flatscreen I-Mac as a gift so  I decided to see if I could learn to make visual graphic interpretations  of music . A poetic interpretation of an individual song to play with the music. This led to graphics and  coding. Having run the gamut of plug and play copycat artists on rendering machines and game graphics I found  Processing here. I am hoping this may lead to my little door on heaven. Learning C, C++, Java, Javascript and Unix to use all the various programs is intensive but absolutely  enthralling. I hope to get the Alpha here and start using it. Meanwhile, GIMP and AOL and POV  are my toys. It may take months, but I will have something to share someday.

twitch

alteridentity WWW
« Reply #107 on: Aug 16th, 2003, 6:46pm »

Greetings,

My name is James Stallings. I am a sponge. I have been painting and drawing since a child and hacking computers since about the TRS80. I am 40 years old, and I try to recognize no limits to what I or others might accomplish. When I was 19 I quit college to go to work in the computing industry. Since the business world rearranged my life for me just prior to 9/11, I have gone back to school (yes after more than twenty years away LoL) to pursue degrees in my areas of interest (fine arts, commercial arts, applied comp sci/tech) ultimately to become an instructor at the college where I attend classes (San Jacinto College in Houston, Texas). The word autodidactic definitely applies.
It is my goal to be able to support my bohemian artisic endeavors and help provide for my small family.

I'm here because this is where the bleeding edge of technological develeopement is, and thats where I prefer to be, 'cause thats where the coolest toys come from

I waited to make this post until after I'd read most of the material on the proce55ing website, downloaded the alpha code, read the faq, overcame the incorrect path issue for the qtjava.zip file in 0058 in short got it up and running. I also read many of the introductions. I figured I owed it to you all to actually run the code and examples before I came in and   commented, which I did taking good notes of any issues criticisms or observations. I will make this available to any interested parties, but its pretty mundane as there were few real issues; all were well known with perhaps one exception.

This is already an outstanding piece of work. As a person very experienced with a wide variety of graphic languages, programming languages and style, syntax and what have you, it doesn't look remarkably different at a glance. After all, line(100,100,200,200) is about as tight as you can make it

However, it really shines in other areas where things have been very well streamlined. The client-server support in the network code is excellent. Complexity has been eliminated with little obvious impact on functionality; and higher level features and capabilites are generally made available in a minimalistic way that makes this code very approachable. Its friendly, it beckons.  

Finally a word about the examples then I'll shut up LoL
As someone who never cares to chose between depth and breadth, I have to say that the completeness of scope of the examples and fullness of the documentation make processing extremely approachable and accessible. I can't wait to build an original program with it.

I look forward to being a part of the processing community and to hearing from you all. Be Well!

Best Regards,
James G. Stallings II
 aka "twitch"

http://mw.merseine.nu/~twitch/newmw/
brew

« Reply #108 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 7:16pm »

Hi all!

My name is Brook (brew) and I'm an interaction/graphic designer working in the UK.  

Most of my programming knowledge has been born through necessity from work in Actionscript.

I've been using processing for about a fortnight now, and am just about getting my head 'round 'The Z-Axis' and trying to come to terms with lights. Prepare for many questions about this!

I'll have something to share soon - looking forward to some helpful criticism and hope I can offer some of my own .

whisperstorm

trip004 WWW
« Reply #109 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:25pm »

Hi my name is Andrew Wooldridge - I work at AOL and I'm a former Netscape employee. I live here in the Bay Area of California near San Francisco. I love scripting languages especially javascript and I've done alot of exploration in mini-app building and games. I'm looking at using Processing to explore simple game ideas and concepts.  I also have a blog on indie gaming and osx at http://cogworks.manilasites.com
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:26pm by whisperstorm »  
ereytorr

Email
« Reply #110 on: Aug 23rd, 2003, 5:21pm »

Hi, my name is esteban, i've an art (sculpture) degree and right now i'm teaching art and media in the National University of Colombia. Like some of you i begin notePading html and then move to javascript, pearl, actionscript, lingo, etc. Now playing with electronics (uC's)+ audiovisuals (p5 )

dbunder

« Reply #111 on: Aug 26th, 2003, 2:12am »

i'm jay.  i'm a programmer, photographer, designer in various mediums, and general dork.  i saw proce55ing in motion on some site (unfortunately i can't seem to find the link) with a zombie infection simulation.  very cool stuff.  

i've just started a couple projects with the newest alpha build of the software and i hope to be releasing them soon.

-j

Jerronimo

« Reply #112 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 3:50pm »

Hi there!

My name is Jerry.  I'm a 29 year old software engineer at the Rochester Institute of Technology.  I usually code in C/C++ and Z80 assembly for work and play.  I initially found Processing from an article in Wired magazine and fell in love instantly.  I requested the SDK, and then later that day found the link to the zombie simulator from http://www.memepool.com and loved it even more.  

It reminds me of a simplified language, along the lines of the old Amiga E programming language... small, fun, powerful.

Anyway, I received the Processing SDK yesterday and by the end of the day, I had a few sketches done.  I love this language!

My Processing sketches (so far):
    http://www.cis.rit.edu/~sdlpci/Software/processing/

Linear Strip photos done with an OSX specific app:
    http://www.cis.rit.edu/~sdlpci/Image/2003/05/linearstrip.html

I have no idea what I'll do next with Processing, but I'm sure it'll be fun.  

elout

12747371274737 WWW
« Reply #113 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 7:39pm »

Hello, I`m Elout de Kok, born in 1968 (the Netherlands). Working with computers since the early 80`s. Personal Computers since then; zx-spectrum -> amiga 2000 -> pc. And I always had a strong interrest coding graphics. Finished my MA-ISCA (Masters of the Arts in Image Synthesis and Computer Animation) back in 1994 | HKU-Utrecht (nl) / Middlesex Polytechnic London (uk). Since 1993 I survived working in this 'new'-media industry with a great success. Although some bankruptcy, underpaid jobs, and very long working hours, somehow I still find this branche very attractive! Since july 2003 I`m an independend free-lancer doing animation, webdesign, VJ`n, exhibitions etc. anything that pays the bills, or seems good for me to work on.

Currently coding grapics with anything that seems to work for me; flash | director | java | c/openGL

Got introduced to processing last week when toxi  http://www.toxi.co.uk  was hanging around here in Amsterdam.

my personal pixel-lab;
http://www.xs4all.nl/~elout/

my processing folder I set up today;
http://www.xs4all.nl/~elout/proce55ing/

About processing; hmm. I like it because I can have pixel-perfect control on any pixel, and digging into some routine`s I just could not figure out just by myself yet.
About this open-source thing, for a new-be it`s better have 100 different examples of 10 lines each, to understand/learn. Then having just 1 example of 1000 lines.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2003, 2:56am by elout »  
thera

Email
« Reply #114 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 8:03am »

hi my name is thera barnett. i'm in my 3rd year studying fine arts/art history in california. i went to a science/engineering school for a year before that. i love math and science and i've been trying to teach myself some perl and java, i've done a lot of animation and web design but i want to work more on generative art pieces and environments that require interaction.

i took linear algebra for fun this summer and now i'm inspired to play around and experiment with this wonderful software and apply my newly aquired math skills.

daria

« Reply #115 on: Aug 30th, 2003, 3:03pm »

Just found out about processing in Wired magazine. The goals, examples, format, look great. I'm an artist, (AIR Gallery in NYC), teach fashion design at FIT in NYC. Somehow missed the Processing demo at Siggraph...interested in open source sharing, teaching differently & bringing my fashion & fine arts world into this, have lots of ideas on communication, in love with my nokia 3650 cell, want to explore cross-media content and am joining this community to learn about processing.

rgovostes

rgovostes
« Reply #116 on: Aug 30th, 2003, 10:37pm »

i am ryan govostes. i am 14 years old. i live in new york. i use mac os x. i program in several random languages [iptscrae, perl, realbasic, php, hypertalk, javascript, seelogo].
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2003, 4:44am by rgovostes »  
dbubd

« Reply #117 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 8:25pm »

Hi,

My name is Matthew Warren. I have just finished re-reading the WIRED magazine mini-article about Processing. Eureeka! This is what I've been looking for to migrate my art toward digital. I can hardly contain my anticipation for getting my hands on a copy of Processing. Please, please, pick me!

Awkward begging aside...

I'm an Austin, Texas (soon to be Toronto, Ontario)based visual artist and musician interested in something else, something different... What is it? I'm not entirely sure how to explain it simply but, from what I've seen so far of Processing, it must have something to do with it.

At this point I'd follow suit and point y'all to a website or something, but it's awefully and shamefully incomplete and un-updated and just plain not cool.

I'll give you a hint if you're still curious.

dbubd+geocities=

battey

« Reply #118 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 6:59am »

Hi, I'm Bret Battey, faculty at the Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media at the University of Washington (Seattle, USA). I've logged many years in the computer music realm doing algorithmic work and Csound, Supercollider, Common Music, etc. -- combined with digital video and computer animation. Autumn 2003 I'll be teaching a course "Algorithmic Processes in Art": we start with Design by Numbers and then 'graduate' to Processing. Parallel readings are slated from Kandinsky "Point to Line and Plane" to Wolfram "A New Kind of Science" to a bit of Golan L. in "4x4 Generative Design".  I think Processing will knock the students' socks off (in a great way), as they say, and I'm greatly looking forward to teaching it...  
-=b

Jhudak

WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: Sep 21st, 2003, 3:58am »

hello folks.  i am an audio artist interested in examining small sounds for their inherent rhythmic and melodic possibilities (i.e. the sound of leaves recorded through the trunk of a tree, the sound of wind blowing through fields of grass, rainfall).

of course in the digital world, the rhythmic and melodic components of any sound can be modified, and greatly altered, as well as being illuminated.  most things i do with sound come into the category of reshaping the original sound in some way so as to make it  pleasing to listen to as a background listening experience (as opposed to foreground listening).

my interest in proce55ing came from the wired magazine article.  i noticed right away that proce55ing would more than likely become a nice alternative to flash.  i have been waiting for the audio portion of it to be developed, as i am also interested in the translation of visuals into sound and sound into visuals.

i was originally testing proce55ing on my old mac 9600 with a g3 upgrade using os9, but will now switch to testing it on my other computer in the osx environment.  is there a beta version available yet?

i look forward to seeing more of what people can do visually, and what can be done sonically.

best future,
john

http://www.johnhudak.net
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  16

« Previous topic | Next topic »