Video library: codecs, containers, hardware-acceleration

edited March 2014 in Library Questions

A few general questions about video support in Processing. I couldn't find any documentation about this so decided to ask here in hope that someone can help me.

1. What video and audio codecs are supported by Processing 2.0+? I know the video library uses GStreamer and AFAIKT GStreamer uses a bunch of different plugins to offer encode/decode support but I don't know what plugins are bundled with Processing. Is there a list of supported codecs somewhere? I tried to play an XVID/MP3 AVI file and got only video, no audio.

2. What containers are supported (AVI, MOV, MP4, MKV, etc)? I guess the GStreamer plugins define this as well?

3. Will Processing look for system codecs if it doesn't know how to decode a video? In other words, does it matter what codecs you have installed on your system when you run a sketch?

4. Are videos played through Processing already hardware accelerated? As in, processed by the GPU and not by the CPU? If not, is it possible to do that? How?

Thanks for any feedback on this!

Cheers,

-- Luis

Answers

• I am also wondering about these questions. I am trying to enable hardware video acceleration using Processing 3.3 on an NVIDIA Jetson TK1 running Ubuntu 14.04.

• I believe that Processing is in general not hardware accelerated, as has been discussed for general drawing itself.