Multitasking game

edited February 2017 in Share Your Work

Hi! I did another experiment. You have to play two games at once.

https://dropbox.com/s/ab20e7697gepc9s/breaktris.zip?dl=0

On the right it's classic Breakout. This is controlled with the mouse. On the left it's classic Tetris which is controlled with the WSAD keys or the arrow keys alternatively (plus the space bar for dropping stones).

Tetrominos which are removed in the Breakout game will appear in the Tetris game on the left. If there is already one active Tetromino in the Tetris game, removed Tetrominos are put in a queue. The longer the queue, the faster Tetris gets. It's self explanatory when you try it. If you manage to remove four lines a once you will get an additional life. Game is over when you've lost all lives or when you lose in Tetris. So far there is just one level. If you clear up the right side, it will be just refilled.

I'm still not sure, if this was a good idea because it is rather difficult to find and maintain a good balance of difficulty. I also think that there might be better combinations of classic games to do this kind of mashup. Because of this I won't continue this project, but rather focus on some other ideas.

screenshot

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi blast664,
    I like it a lot.
    A bit of gymnastics for eyes and... for brain :)

• I'm still not sure, if this was a good idea because it is rather difficult to find and maintain a good balance of difficulty. I also think that there might be better combinations of classic games to do this kind of mashup.

Interesting concept!

Perhaps mixing Tetris with Space Invaders (or with some other bottom-up clearing shooter, eg Centipede) -- something where choosing which Tetris piece to shoot next is potentially much more intentional, and so players can choose to try to expend attention on tactics in a way that is difficult or impossible with Breakout.