"Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize)."

Hi All, I've been writing a program for projection mapping. I'm using PApplet.runSketch to run a program for each projector I have attached. Everything was working fantastically well for about a month, but just recently I started getting the error: "Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize)." Most of the changes I've made to the code recently are pretty simple little methods for scaling objects etc. I haven't fiddled much with how the Applets themselves are loaded etc.

If it is relevant, the sketch uses the following libraries: import deadpixel.keystone.*; import java.util.*; import controlP5.*; import processing.video.*; import spout.*; import javax.swing.JFileChooser; import point2line.*;

I would post the entire code, but it is really quite long.

Interestingly, things work fine for a second; the error usually occurs around 45 seconds to 2 minutes into running the sketch, at which point it crashes and dumps the following information:

_#

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007fff26083def, pid=12912, tid=0x000000000000341c

#

JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_102-b14) (build 1.8.0_102-b14)

Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.102-b14 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)

Problematic frame:

C [msvcrt.dll+0x73def]

#

Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

#

An error report file with more information is saved as:

C:\Users\DREWHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\hs_err_pid12912.log

#

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

# Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize). For more information, read revisions.txt and Help ? Troubleshooting._

Answers