Using SVG file created by Photoshop extract asset in Processing

edited April 2015 in General Discussion

Okay.. I'm not really good at explaining stuff, but hopefully I can find someone who can help me!....

I'm using Photoshop and Processing. I want to use cool brush effect in Photoshop, and save it as a SVG file to load in Processing. I use the new feature 'Extract Asset' in Photoshop, to save a layer to SVG file. However for some reason, the SVG file doesn't appear at all after I run the Processing sketch.

So I compared SVG file that is generated by Photoshop (Extract Asset) and Illustrator. I found SVG file in Photoshop (Extract Asset) is not saved with vector information. Perhaps is that the reason why the SVG file is not loaded on Processing? Maybe is there any way that a Photoshop file can convert to SVG file with vector information? I attached two SVG file for comparison. Top one is SVG file from Illustrator, and bottom one is SVG file with Photoshop.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 1.28.10 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 1.27.59 PM

Answers

• Usually, it is hard to convert a bitmap image to SVG, particularly with "brush effect"... That's why Photoshop actually exports the layer as a bitmap image (encoded in Base64 here), ie. that's SVG only by name and format, but not vector at all.