Monthly Challenge / Quest / whatever

edited December 2014 in General Discussion

I don't know a good name but I had this idea for a few years now. I think it would be nice if we have like a monthly challenge or whatever to name it.

There should be a few basic rules, could be this for example:

1. You have 1 month the time (should be enough :) )
  2. No libraries allowed (unless they ship with processing)
  3. A maximum of ## lines of code (less would be more challenging, 25 or something?)
  4. Should not be platform depending
  5. You have to create it (although it could be inspired by something)

We choose a subject, like create a glitch. I just saw this topic and I really like it: http://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/8264/pshape-bug-or-glitch-art-you-decide

It's a good example of an outcome.

We could choose a top 3 of winners each month. They could add a star image in the signature or something. Although for me it's more about seeing what others make. And I think it could be learn full if it are short sketches.

Are people interested? If so like this post and drop some ideas if you have them. We can choose the most populair subject for the first 1 later.

Some ideas:

1. create a glitch
  2. create a pattern in the console
  3. do something simple really really really complex
  4. create a nice sketch with as few lines as possible
  5. create an illusion
  6. ...

Comments

• edited December 2014

Great idea!

As you know, I don't like the max. 25 lines / as few lines as possible approach, I think it makes for bad code when it's too dense ;-)

but otherwise a great idea!

you see, when you come up with a good and cool idea, somebody will stand up and critize you... urghs....

;-)

• Could be true, sometime more code is easier to read. The thing is, if a sketch is not to large then you might can learn something from it faster. I also don't like number 4, the platform depending. Let's say someone finds a really awesome glitch that only works on mac os x. Then it would be sad to not allow it.

• edited December 2014

I like this idea. That would be fun. It would be interesting to make it less programming dependent and maybe more output or design dependent. Kind of like engineering competitions where you are given specific materials to construct a bridge or rubberband powered vehicle. The materials here could be specific images/shapes to be used.

Or another approach could involve a specific set of code where there is a limit on the number of lines that can be added or changed. This way everyone starts at the same point and its a matter of what you do to it that is of interest.

• "I like this idea. That would be fun. It would be interesting to make it less programming dependent and maybe more output or design dependent. Kind of like engineering competitions where you are given specific materials to construct a bridge or rubberband powered vehicle. The materials here could be specific images/shapes to be used.

Or another approach could involve a specific set of code where there is a limit on the number of lines that can be added or changed. This way everyone starts at the same point and its a matter of what you do to it that is of interest."

+1

The 2 approach in the same time sounds good too :)

• edited December 2014

Or, along the lines of materials, you could have a boiler plate program that everyone starts with and the choice of adding 5 (or whatever) items from a list. The list could have multiple items to which you are limited to select from:

a variable
    an array
    an image from url
    mouse interactivity
    keyboard interactivity
    for loop
    ArrayList
    PGraphics or PImage
    export a PDF
    add a Class
    PVector

etc...

• edited December 2014

Hello,

another idea:

Instead of doing just code for fun (which is great in itself), we could also produce something useful every month that others could use:

• 1) a box with parameters

• 2) a sphere with parameters

• 3) a msgbox with OK

• 4) a msgbox that let's you ask yes / no / cancel or OK / cancel etc.

• 5) Inputbox that let's you enter text (or only numbers)

• 6) a good 3D cam as in SketchUp (without using peasycam)

• 7) a state class

• 8) a multiple choice quiz template

• 9) a simple rotating camera

• 10) a 2D cloud for a sky

• 11) a 3D cloud for a sky

• 12) a sky sphere

• 13) a ground class

• 14) a 3D cam that can follow a 3D player (like Lara Croft)

• 15) a collection of textures for sky, walls, grass, tree, rock, way, street, forest...

• 16) a collection of sounds like xylophone, laser, hit, crash, door slam, die, scream

• 17) a collection of sprites like on openprocessing

• 18) a simple 3D HUD with hint(DISABLE_DEPTH_TEST); etc.

• 19) a simple class to save and load any HashMap or Table to and from Hard drive

more more more.... but the idea is to make something that others can reuse in their sketches (like a template or a lib). I know, a lot is already around, but still... there is no structured collection. We all come across stuff like this we need every day (or produce every day on the side).

just to make myself clear, I show three examples.

AD 1)

// ---------------------------------------------

void boxParams(float x, float y, float z,
    float size1) {
      // a box with parameters
      pushMatrix();
      translate(x, y, z);
      box(size1);
      popMatrix();
    }

AD 2)

void sphereParams(float x, float y, float z,
    float size1) {
      // a sphere with parameters
      pushMatrix();
      noStroke();
      translate(x, y, z);
      sphere(size1);
      popMatrix();
    }

AD 9)

void cameraManagement() {

camX= camRadius * cos ( radians(camAngle) ) +330 ;
      camZ= camRadius * sin ( radians(camAngle) ) +0 ;
      camera(camX, camY, camZ,
      330.0, 331.0, 0.0,
      0.0, 1.0, 0.0);

// camera
      if (!keyPressed) {
        // rotate
        camAngle+=.6;
        if (camAngle>360)
          camAngle=0;
      } // if
    }

Chrisir ;-)

• @Chrisir That will more likely end up everyone doing some part and a few or maybe 1 continuing in the end (most likely you :P ) :)

With the other thing it's more about a creative output and connecting people.

Also, I think the examples you show could easily end up in the monthly things, but not as the main goal. Like XYZZY says > It would be interesting to make it less programming dependent and maybe more output or design dependent.

@XYZZY about the boiler template, that could be a subject for 1 month. I think always having a boiler template would be to restrictive.

• @clankill3r I agree. Switching it around is always good.

• edited December 2014

I see. You are right. ;-)

Anyway, I posted my approach on the Wiki of our programming group.

It's a public Wiki. Everyone can read and write there.

Feel free to add your stuff:

http://portalsfordeveloping.wikia.com/wiki/Snippets

;-)

• @Chrisir That would be a very valuable resource, indeed.

• @XYZZY thank you

please feel free to add more topics to my little list or to to write some snippets for the list

thank you!

;-)

• edited December 2014

Two more topics I think that might be interesting:

-recursion

-feedback

I wan't to start the first one in January 2015.

Edit, i will keep adding here:

-5 second animation

-color

-light

-everyone same library

-something cool with regex

-file manipulation

-something with sound

-manipulate output using a thread

• Sounds great. I'm looking forward to it.

• I'm thinking of starting it a bit earlier so we have a a bit longer for the first one. In which category should it belong?

↳ Share Your Work284 ↳ Events & Opportunities104 ↳ General Discussion

• I'd say Events & Opportunities