GPU memory limit using retained mode.

Hi all!,

I've been coding a sketch that deal with a big amount of points. That points are created in a third-party software and sent via OSC to Processing. I've just set a Pshape in GROUP mode and another PShape as intermediate buffer to deal with the new points created. I can go up to 150000 points without any problem, but beyond that number the sketch crash reflecting this error.

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00000000690844c9, pid=7756, tid=5856
#
# JRE version: 6.0_37-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.12-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [atio6axx.dll+0x544c9]

I've though about this error could be caused because the sketch is trying to use more GPU memory over the limit that my graphic card has. So, is there any way to know how much GPU memory is the sketch using to be able to take out some data just before it crashes?

Any advise/comment will be helpful.

Cheers. Ángel.

Answers

• edited October 2013

Hi Ángel,

Here's a list OpenGL debugging tools: https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Debugging_Tools

If you're on MacOS, you can use Xcode's "OpenGL Driver Monitor" and "OpenGL Profiler".

• edited October 2013

I found this post...it seems not a solution, I have the same problems that they had :(

Thanks anyway, I'l keep trying :)

• Good luck then! Remember to post your solution here when you find one :)

• I've found a solution...to update the graphic card drivers O.o...now the limit is more the computer performance to evaluate the model than the graphic card memory...:)

Thanks!