CAN Kinect Physics example Vertices of chain shape are too close together

edited April 2014 in Kinect

I have been following the CAN Kinect Physics tutorial and after updating the code so that it runs with the newer versions of processing and OpenNI etc I have hit an error I cant seem to solve. Is there anyone who has come across this error? Any help is greatly appreciated...

code is:

// Kinect Physics Example by Amnon Owed (15/09/12)

// import libraries import processing.opengl.*; // opengl import SimpleOpenNI.*; // kinect import blobDetection.*; // blobs import toxi.geom.*; // toxiclibs shapes and vectors import toxi.processing.*; // toxiclibs display import shiffman.box2d.*; // shiffman's jbox2d helper library import org.jbox2d.collision.shapes.*; // jbox2d import org.jbox2d.common.*; // jbox2d import org.jbox2d.dynamics.*; // jbox2d import java.util.Collections;

// declare SimpleOpenNI object SimpleOpenNI context; // declare BlobDetection object BlobDetection theBlobDetection; // ToxiclibsSupport for displaying polygons ToxiclibsSupport gfx; // declare custom PolygonBlob object (see class for more info) PolygonBlob poly;

// PImage to hold incoming imagery and smaller one for blob detection PImage cam, blobs; // the kinect's dimensions to be used later on for calculations int kinectWidth = 640; int kinectHeight = 480; // to center and rescale from 640x480 to higher custom resolutions float reScale;

// background and blob color color bgColor, blobColor; // three color palettes (artifact from me storing many interesting color palettes as strings in an external data file ;-) String[] palettes = { "-1117720,-13683658,-8410437,-9998215,-1849945,-5517090,-4250587,-14178341,-5804972,-3498634", "-67879,-9633503,-8858441,-144382,-4996094,-16604779,-588031", "-1978728,-724510,-15131349,-13932461,-4741770,-9232823,-3195858,-8989771,-2850983,-10314372" }; color[] colorPalette;

// the main PBox2D object in which all the physics-based stuff is happening Box2DProcessing box2d; // list to hold all the custom shapes (circles, polygons) ArrayList polygons = new ArrayList();

void setup() { // it's possible to customize this, for example 1920x1080 size(640,480, OPENGL); context = new SimpleOpenNI(this); // initialize SimpleOpenNI object // enable depth image generation context.enableDepth(); // enable scene analyser context.enableUser(); // mirror the image to be more intuitive context.setMirror(true); // calculate the reScale value // currently it's rescaled to fill the complete width (cuts of top-bottom) // it's also possible to fill the complete height (leaves empty sides) reScale = (float) width / kinectWidth; // create a smaller blob image for speed and efficiency blobs = createImage(kinectWidth/6, kinectHeight/6, RGB); // initialize blob detection object to the blob image dimensions theBlobDetection = new BlobDetection(blobs.width, blobs.height); theBlobDetection.setThreshold(0.2); // initialize ToxiclibsSupport object gfx = new ToxiclibsSupport(this); // setup box2d, create world, set gravity box2d = new Box2DProcessing(this);
box2d.createWorld(); box2d.setGravity(0, -20); // set random colors (background, blob) setRandomColors(1); }

void draw() { background(bgColor); // update the SimpleOpenNI object context.update(); // put the image into a PImage cam = context.userImage().get(); // copy the image into the smaller blob image blobs.copy(cam, 0, 0, cam.width, cam.height, 0, 0, blobs.width, blobs.height); // blur the blob image blobs.filter(BLUR, 1); // detect the blobs theBlobDetection.computeBlobs(blobs.pixels); // initialize a new polygon poly = new PolygonBlob(); // create the polygon from the blobs (custom functionality, see class) poly.createPolygon(); // create the box2d body from the polygon poly.createBody(); // update and draw everything (see method) updateAndDrawBox2D(); // destroy the person's body (important!) poly.destroyBody(); // set the colors randomly every 240th frame setRandomColors(240); }

void updateAndDrawBox2D() { // if frameRate is sufficient, add a polygon and a circle with a random radius if (frameRate > 29) { polygons.add(new CustomShape(kinectWidth/2, -50, -1)); polygons.add(new CustomShape(kinectWidth/2, -50, random(2.5, 20))); } // take one step in the box2d physics world box2d.step();

// center and reScale from Kinect to custom dimensions translate(0, (height-kinectHeight*reScale)/2); scale(reScale);

// display the person's polygon noStroke(); fill(blobColor); gfx.polygon2D(poly);

// display all the shapes (circles, polygons) // go backwards to allow removal of shapes for (int i=polygons.size()-1; i>=0; i--) { CustomShape cs = polygons.get(i); // if the shape is off-screen remove it (see class for more info) if (cs.done()) { polygons.remove(i); // otherwise update (keep shape outside person) and display (circle or polygon) } else { cs.update(); cs.display(); } } }

// sets the colors every nth frame void setRandomColors(int nthFrame) { if (frameCount % nthFrame == 0) { // turn a palette into a series of strings String[] paletteStrings = split(palettes[int(random(palettes.length))], ","); // turn strings into colors colorPalette = new color[paletteStrings.length]; for (int i=0; i<paletteStrings.length; i++) { colorPalette[i] = int(paletteStrings[i]); } // set background color to first color from palette bgColor = colorPalette[0]; // set blob color to second color from palette blobColor = colorPalette[1]; // set all shape colors randomly for (CustomShape cs: polygons) { cs.col = getRandomColor(); } } }

// returns a random color from the palette (excluding first aka background color) color getRandomColor() { return colorPalette[int(random(1, colorPalette.length))]; }

// usually one would probably make a generic Shape class and subclass different types (circle, polygon), but that // would mean at least 3 instead of 1 class, so for this tutorial it's a combi-class CustomShape for all types of shapes // to save some space and keep the code as concise as possible I took a few shortcuts to prevent repeating the same code class CustomShape { // to hold the box2d body Body body; // to hold the Toxiclibs polygon shape Polygon2D toxiPoly; // custom color for each shape color col; // radius (also used to distinguish between circles and polygons in this combi-class float r;

CustomShape(float x, float y, float r) { this.r = r; // create a body (polygon or circle based on the r) makeBody(x, y); // get a random color col = getRandomColor(); }

void makeBody(float x, float y) { // define a dynamic body positioned at xy in box2d world coordinates, // create it and set the initial values for this box2d body's speed and angle BodyDef bd = new BodyDef(); bd.type = BodyType.DYNAMIC; bd.position.set(box2d.coordPixelsToWorld(new Vec2(x, y))); body = box2d.createBody(bd); body.setLinearVelocity(new Vec2(random(-8, 8), random(2, 8))); body.setAngularVelocity(random(-5, 5));

// depending on the r this combi-code creates either a box2d polygon or a circle
if (r == -1) {
  // box2d polygon shape
  PolygonShape sd = new PolygonShape();
  // toxiclibs polygon creator (triangle, square, etc)
  toxiPoly = new Circle(random(5, 20)).toPolygon2D(int(random(3, 6)));
  // place the toxiclibs polygon's vertices into a vec2d array
  Vec2[] vertices = new Vec2[toxiPoly.getNumPoints()];
  for (int i=0; i<vertices.length; i++) {
    Vec2D v = toxiPoly.vertices.get(i);
    vertices[i] = box2d.vectorPixelsToWorld(new Vec2(v.x, v.y));
  }
  // put the vertices into the box2d shape
  sd.set(vertices, vertices.length);
  // create the fixture from the shape (deflect things based on the actual polygon shape)
  body.createFixture(sd, 1);
} else {
  // box2d circle shape of radius r
  CircleShape cs = new CircleShape();
  cs.m_radius = box2d.scalarPixelsToWorld(r);
  // tweak the circle's fixture def a little bit
  FixtureDef fd = new FixtureDef();
  fd.shape = cs;
  fd.density = 1;
  fd.friction = 0.01;
  fd.restitution = 0.3;
  // create the fixture from the shape's fixture def (deflect things based on the actual circle shape)
  body.createFixture(fd);
}

}

// method to loosely move shapes outside a person's polygon // (alternatively you could allow or remove shapes inside a person's polygon) void update() { // get the screen position from this shape (circle of polygon) Vec2 posScreen = box2d.getBodyPixelCoord(body); // turn it into a toxiclibs Vec2D Vec2D toxiScreen = new Vec2D(posScreen.x, posScreen.y); // check if this shape's position is inside the person's polygon boolean inBody = poly.containsPoint(toxiScreen); // if a shape is inside the person if (inBody) { // find the closest point on the polygon to the current position Vec2D closestPoint = toxiScreen; float closestDistance = 9999999; for (Vec2D v : poly.vertices) { float distance = v.distanceTo(toxiScreen); if (distance < closestDistance) { closestDistance = distance; closestPoint = v; } } // create a box2d position from the closest point on the polygon Vec2 contourPos = new Vec2(closestPoint.x, closestPoint.y); Vec2 posWorld = box2d.coordPixelsToWorld(contourPos); float angle = body.getAngle(); // set the box2d body's position of this CustomShape to the new position (use the current angle) body.setTransform(posWorld, angle); } }

// display the customShape void display() { // get the pixel coordinates of the body Vec2 pos = box2d.getBodyPixelCoord(body); pushMatrix(); // translate to the position translate(pos.x, pos.y); noStroke(); // use the shape's custom color fill(col); // depending on the r this combi-code displays either a polygon or a circle if (r == -1) { // rotate by the body's angle float a = body.getAngle(); rotate(-a); // minus! gfx.polygon2D(toxiPoly); } else { ellipse(0, 0, r2, r2); } popMatrix(); }

// if the shape moves off-screen, destroy the box2d body (important!) // and return true (which will lead to the removal of this CustomShape object) boolean done() { Vec2 posScreen = box2d.getBodyPixelCoord(body); boolean offscreen = posScreen.y > height; if (offscreen) { box2d.destroyBody(body); return true; } return false; } }

// an extended polygon class quite similar to the earlier PolygonBlob class (but extending Toxiclibs' Polygon2D class instead) // The main difference is that this one is able to create (and destroy) a box2d body from it's own shape class PolygonBlob extends Polygon2D { // to hold the box2d body Body body;

// the createPolygon() method is nearly identical to the one presented earlier // see the Kinect Flow Example for a more detailed description of this method (again, feel free to improve it) void createPolygon() { ArrayList<ArrayList> contours = new ArrayList<ArrayList>(); int selectedContour = 0; int selectedPoint = 0;

// create contours from blobs
for (int n=0 ; n<theBlobDetection.getBlobNb(); n++) {
  Blob b = theBlobDetection.getBlob(n);
  if (b != null && b.getEdgeNb() > 100) {
    ArrayList<PVector> contour = new ArrayList<PVector>();
    for (int m=0; m<b.getEdgeNb(); m++) {
      EdgeVertex eA = b.getEdgeVertexA(m);
      EdgeVertex eB = b.getEdgeVertexB(m);
      if (eA != null && eB != null) {
        EdgeVertex fn = b.getEdgeVertexA((m+1) % b.getEdgeNb());
        EdgeVertex fp = b.getEdgeVertexA((max(0, m-1)));
        float dn = dist(eA.x*kinectWidth, eA.y*kinectHeight, fn.x*kinectWidth, fn.y*kinectHeight);
        float dp = dist(eA.x*kinectWidth, eA.y*kinectHeight, fp.x*kinectWidth, fp.y*kinectHeight);
        if (dn > 15 || dp > 15) {
          if (contour.size() > 0) {
            contour.add(new PVector(eB.x*kinectWidth, eB.y*kinectHeight));
            contours.add(contour);
            contour = new ArrayList<PVector>();
          } else {
            contour.add(new PVector(eA.x*kinectWidth, eA.y*kinectHeight));
          }
        } else {
          contour.add(new PVector(eA.x*kinectWidth, eA.y*kinectHeight));
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

while (contours.size() > 0) {

// find next contour
  float distance = 999999999;
  if (getNumPoints() > 0) {
    Vec2D vecLastPoint = vertices.get(getNumPoints()-1);
    PVector lastPoint = new PVector(vecLastPoint.x, vecLastPoint.y);
    for (int i=0; i<contours.size(); i++) {
      ArrayList<PVector> c = contours.get(i);
      PVector fp = c.get(0);
      PVector lp = c.get(c.size()-1);
      if (fp.dist(lastPoint) < distance) {
        distance = fp.dist(lastPoint);
        selectedContour = i;
        selectedPoint = 0;
      }
      if (lp.dist(lastPoint) < distance) {
        distance = lp.dist(lastPoint);
        selectedContour = i;
        selectedPoint = 1;
      }
    }
  } else {
    PVector closestPoint = new PVector(width, height);
    for (int i=0; i<contours.size(); i++) {
      ArrayList<PVector> c = contours.get(i);
      PVector fp = c.get(0);
      PVector lp = c.get(c.size()-1);
      if (fp.y > kinectHeight-5 && fp.x < closestPoint.x) {
        closestPoint = fp;
        selectedContour = i;
        selectedPoint = 0;
      }
      if (lp.y > kinectHeight-5 && lp.x < closestPoint.y) {
        closestPoint = lp;
        selectedContour = i;
        selectedPoint = 1;
      }
    }
  }

// add contour to polygon
  ArrayList<PVector> contour = contours.get(selectedContour);
  if (selectedPoint > 0) { Collections.reverse(contour); }
  for (PVector p : contour) {
    add(new Vec2D(p.x, p.y));
  }
  contours.remove(selectedContour);
}

}

// creates a shape-deflecting physics chain in the box2d world from this polygon void createBody() { // for stability the body is always created (and later destroyed) BodyDef bd = new BodyDef(); body = box2d.createBody(bd); // if there are more than 0 points (aka a person on screen)... if (getNumPoints() > 0) { // create a vec2d array of vertices in box2d world coordinates from this polygon Vec2[] verts = new Vec2[getNumPoints()]; for (int i=0; i<getNumPoints(); i++) { Vec2D v = vertices.get(i); verts[i] = box2d.coordPixelsToWorld(v.x, v.y); } // create a chain from the array of vertices ChainShape chain = new ChainShape(); chain.createChain(verts, verts.length); // create fixture in body from the chain (this makes it actually deflect other shapes) body.createFixture(chain, 1); } }

// destroy the box2d body (important!) void destroyBody() { box2d.destroyBody(body); } }

error messages are:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Vertices of chain shape are too close together at com.jogamp.common.util.awt.AWTEDTExecutor.invoke(AWTEDTExecutor.java:58) at jogamp.opengl.awt.AWTThreadingPlugin.invokeOnOpenGLThread(AWTThreadingPlugin.java:100) at jogamp.opengl.ThreadingImpl.invokeOnOpenGLThread(ThreadingImpl.java:205) at javax.media.opengl.Threading.invokeOnOpenGLThread(Threading.java:172) at javax.media.opengl.Threading.invoke(Threading.java:191) at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.display(GLCanvas.java:483) at processing.opengl.PGL.requestDraw(PGL.java:1149) at processing.opengl.PGraphicsOpenGL.requestDraw(PGraphicsOpenGL.java:1604) at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:2176) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695) Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Vertices of chain shape are too close together at org.jbox2d.collision.shapes.ChainShape.createChain(ChainShape.java:225) at StageTwoGeometricShapes$PolygonBlob.createBody(StageTwoGeometricShapes.java:423) at StageTwoGeometricShapes.draw(StageTwoGeometricShapes.java:122) at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:2305) at processing.opengl.PGL$PGLListener.display(PGL.java:2601) at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.displayImpl(GLDrawableHelper.java:588) at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.display(GLDrawableHelper.java:572) at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas$7.run(GLCanvas.java:1054) at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGLImpl(GLDrawableHelper.java:1034) at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGL(GLDrawableHelper.java:909) at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas$8.run(GLCanvas.java:1065) at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:199) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:715) at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:82) at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:676) at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:674) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:86) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:685) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Answers