change colour on mouse press

edited March 2018 in Questions about Code

I have got to this point, using help from this post https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/20148/beginner-question-how-to-change-color-of-the-ellipse-everytime-the-mouse-is-pressed

and have changed it a bit to get the following:

color[] colours = new color[3]; int c = 0;

void setup() { size(500, 500); colours[0] = color(255, 0, 0); colours[1] = color(0, 255, 0); colours[2] = color(0, 0, 255); }

void draw() { if (mousePressed == true && (mouseButton == LEFT)) {

fill(colours[c]);

ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 50, 50);

c = (c + 1) % 3;

} }

However, when I click the left mouse button, it continuously displays circles until the mouse click is released. Instead I wish it to display one circle of one colour per click. I.E. 1st click = red circle at mouse coordinates, release mouse click 2nd click = green circle at mouse coordinates, release mouse click 3rd click = blue circle at mouse coordinates, release mouse click 4th click = returns to red circle, release mouse click And so on...

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for any help.

Tagged:

Answers

• edited March 2018 Answer ✓

Instead of using mousePressed as a variable use mousePressed () as a function

See reference. The function is indicated by the brackets ()

The function registers mouse clicks only once but the variable registers them throughout, often

• edited March 2018

I just tried to do that but I made a mess of it. Sorry, I am relatively new. How would I do that? Is it changing it back to how the post I linked had it?

Thanks

• edited March 2018

A function is a section from { to }.

You have functions setup() and draw() now.

As shown in the reference make a new function mousePressed() after draw() {.....} :

void mousePressed () {

// move the entire if section from draw here in this spot

}

• edited March 2018

Then check your brackets { }

You can save with a new name then you have two distinct versions of your sketch

• That worked. Thank you very much!