Navigating a 3D space in VR

edited February 2018 in Android Mode

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the Android mode and I'm trying to build a little app to navigate a 3D model of a city. I haven't started writing the code yet, as I was exploring the examples in order to understand what can be done. However, I've seen the sketches respond solely to head movement and not to walking forward or backward. Is there any way to do this? So the user can 'walk' around and navigate the 3D model?

Tagged:

Answers

• respond solely to head movement and not to walking forward or backward

How would you detect that you are moving forward?

What do you mean walking fwd or backwards? Like going for a walk?

I suspect you could use a handheld device (joystick) to give a signal to move fwd or backwards.

What I have seen, you can zoom in or zoom out. Another approach is that you introduce the fwd/reverse motion in your actual VR experience.

Kf

• Perhaps with the ketai library? I have just found it and I believe it might be possible with the linear acceleration sensor but I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience with that?

The joystick idea would surely work but I want the user to interact with the program solely with an android phone and the google cardboard.

• Answer ✓

In many apps you are on a roller coaster and moving through town.

Not exactly what you want but can be easier as a starting point: just change view position on a fixed path. No input required.

• edited February 2018

How would you detect that you are moving forward?

I thought there was a way to do it using the phone's sensors but I guess I was wrong, just wanted to know if anyone knew of a way to do so.

In many apps you are on a roller coaster and moving through town.

Yes! I've seen this method, I really wanted the user to be able to explore the city as they pleased since they were to choose their favorite view, but I guess ultimately they could do this from the fixed path or using a joystick to navigate.

Thanks to both of you!