Should I use Processing or P5 for this project?

edited January 2018 in Using Processing

Hi, I am about to start a project, the end goal is display JPG images in a grid and order them in various ways based on their brightness (low to high, random, Perlin noise, etc.). I should have a simple interface that controls the way the images are displayed and the final result will be projected in a dark space on a maybe 3x3 meters surface.

Now my question is: should I use Processing or P5???

I am way more comfortable with p5 but it seems that being in a browser might be too limiting for this project. Also, I think Processing is usually better in terms of performance so since the projection will be relatively large maybe Processing is more appropriate.

I would love to hear your thoughts/advice :) Thanks

Sam

Tagged:

Comments

• I wrote a tutorial with my advice on which Processing to use here.

But in the end it's up to you. Nothing you've mentioned is super convincing in either direction. What do you mean that the browser will be limiting? What kind of performance issues are you expecting? Have you done any profiling?

Put together a little example prototype of your project in both, and see which one you like better.

• edited January 2018

If you know for certain that you are going to be loading more than 4GB of (image) data all at once then I believe (?) that 4GB is a hard upper limit on per-tab memory allocation for e.g. a Chrome 64bit browser tab. So max RAM might be a factor. Otherwise, whatever meets your requirements -- and if you are way more comfortable in a language, that might be a deciding factor.