Is there a way to help g4p textbox to survive a stream of characters?

edited January 2018 in Arduino

I am using g4p's textbox to show output to the textbox. Hoiwever, I noticed that the text box couldn't handle a stream of strings coming in (since I was outputting something) and it crashed. Is there a way to prevent it from destroying itself? Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• What do you mean when you say it crashed? How large of a string are we talking about here?

• The GTextArea control was never designed to display huge amounts of data, its main purpose is to accept multi-line input from the keyboard.

Having said that there are stratagems that might help, depending on what you mean by a stream of Strings

• Let's say I was outputting a string with an output of a sensor. So Serial.println("reading" + String(reading)) on arduino that uses Xbee to transfer it to GUI. Constantly. However, if there's no easy solution, I will just stop streaming because I am required to output certain things rather than everything. Thanks for your quick replies guys!

• You could always just limit the textbox to showing the last X lines of output instead of every single line.

• KevinWorkman has identified one of the stratagems :)

• Ok thank you!