Unable to start sketches with P2D and P3D on Linux

edited January 2018 in Using Processing

Hi

I get the following error whenever I try to start a sketch with the P2D or P3D renderer:

java.lang.InternalError: XXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc -> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped 
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.computeProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2071)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDeviceCritical(GLProfile.java:1954)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDevice(GLProfile.java:1875)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDefaultDevices(GLProfile.java:1842)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.access$000(GLProfile.java:80)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile$1.run(GLProfile.java:230)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initSingleton(GLProfile.java:216)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2297)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.get(GLProfile.java:988)
    at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getGL2ES2(GLProfile.java:909)
    at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL.initGL(PSurfaceJOGL.java:192)
    at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL.initFrame(PSurfaceJOGL.java:136)
    at processing.core.PApplet.initSurface(PApplet.java:10889)
    at processing.core.PApplet.runSketch(PApplet.java:10776)
    at processing.core.PApplet.main(PApplet.java:10476)

Processing version: 3.3.6

Graphics card: Nvidia Quadro 600

Graphics driver: Nouveau (4.13.0-16-generic)

OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.2

Do I have to use the proprietary Nvidia driver to get P2D/P3D to work or is the problem that the recent Ubuntu version (17.10) has some API changes that is not picked up by processing/jogamp

Answers

• edited November 2017

I have the same problem.

Processing version: 3.3.6-1 OS: Manjaro 17.0.6-EOL OpenGL vendor string: X.Org OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.12-1-MANJARO, LLVM 5.0.0) OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.4 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 OpenGL core profile context flags: (none) OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile OpenGL core profile extensions: OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30 OpenGL context flags: (none) OpenGL extensions: OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.2.4 OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10 OpenGL ES profile extensions:

• Me too, any solution for this ?

OS Ubuntu Budgie **java.lang.InternalError: XXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc -> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.computeProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2071) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDeviceCritical(GLProfile.java:1954) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDevice(GLProfile.java:1875) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDefaultDevices(GLProfile.java:1842) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.access$000(GLProfile.java:80) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile$1.run(GLProfile.java:230) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initSingleton(GLProfile.java:216) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2297) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.get(GLProfile.java:988) at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getGL2ES2(GLProfile.java:909) at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL.initGL(PSurfaceJOGL.java:192) at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL.initFrame(PSurfaceJOGL.java:136) at processing.core.PApplet.initSurface(PApplet.java:10889) at processing.core.PApplet.runSketch(PApplet.java:10776) at processing.core.PApplet.main(PApplet.java:10476) **

• edited December 2017

Hello @Heliummusic @frostRed @anorm77

i have no Linux version running, so i can not reproduce the bug on my machine. I'm on windows and the bug produces a flickering of my scetches. Also not very cool.

Can someone with this bug, try to map processing to use an earlier Version of Java then 1.8. And responce if it helps with keep the scetch running.

Thank you

• edited December 2017

hi bro, how can I do that ?

• edited December 2017

@Heliummusic
    yo, wassup. ✌️
    My idea was that you download a previous version of java, move/delete the folder inside processing with Java reference. And compile your scetch with the "default" java from Oracle. But if you have no idea how to get their, it will take you a while, and at the end, nobody says that it will work. See also here.

And before things get to complicated. Download a prev. version of processing. v. 2.2.1 | v. 1.5.1 https://processing.org/download/

When a very minimal scetch runs (- vs. the same scetch in higher processing versions), so the bug is in Processing Version >= 3.x . When it also fails it's a driver bug. (Simple as that.)

• Hi all,

I also have the same problem on my PC with the following.

Ubuntu 16.04
    Processing 3.3.6
    GL_VENDOR: nouveau
    GL_RENDERER: NV108
    GL_VERSION: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4

If I run a sketch with P3D (i.e., size(720, 720, P3D);), I get the following error message.

java.lang.InternalError: XXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc -> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped 
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.computeProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2071)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDeviceCritical(GLProfile.java:1954)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDevice(GLProfile.java:1875)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDefaultDevices(GLProfile.java:1842)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.access$000(GLProfile.java:80)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile$1.run(GLProfile.java:230)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initSingleton(GLProfile.java:216)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2297)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.get(GLProfile.java:988)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getGL2ES2(GLProfile.java:909)
        at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL.initGL(PSurfaceJOGL.java:192)
        at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL.initFrame(PSurfaceJOGL.java:136)
        at processing.core.PApplet.initSurface(PApplet.java:10889)
        at processing.core.PApplet.runSketch(PApplet.java:10776)
        at processing.core.PApplet.main(PApplet.java:10513)
        at processing.core.PApplet.main(PApplet.java:10495)
        at Misc.main(Misc.java:108)

Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks!

• edited January 2018

@seongwook

Hello this is a well known bug https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/5308

already reported. And i don't think this can be fixed soon. I will install Ubuntu this weekend if i can reproduce it on my machine, i will possibly even post a workaround. Later next week.

• edited January 2018

Hi @nabr,

Thank you so much for the information! I didn't know that it is a known bug :)

I'll be looking forward to a workaround.

Thanks again!

• edited February 2018

Hi,I found a 5 min workaround to get P2D and P3D up and running again

Had exactly the same issues as described here. The bug appeared with the new OpenGL - Mesa under Linux. Until the Processing gets patched, simply manipulate the Java Environment that came with the installation as described in my post here:

https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/5308

Good luck !

• @AQUILa_SC

Nice! Thank you, very much!