I'm a little bit lost and I need some advice (tutorials)

edited November 2017 in Hello Processing

Hello there! I'm 17 years old Spanish boy who loves code, but now I don't know how to carry on. I was following a series of videos by The Coding Train (Daniel Shiffman) called "Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction" but right now I'm lost. Now I'm following "The Nature of Code: Simulating Natural Systems with Processing" by The Coding Train too. The dilemma is that I don't know if it's the best choice. I need some advice about how to carry on, or if I'm doing it all right. Also I really want to know what to do when I finish the "The Nature of Code: Simulating Natural Systems with Processing". Thank you so much for evertything! I hope we see each other again!

Comments

• but now I don't know how to carry on

What would you like to do?

but right now I'm lost

What do you mean you are lost? Are you done and you don't know what to do next? Or you are lost meaning there is something you don't understand?

The dilemma is that I don't know if it's the best choice

How much have you done of each of those resources? You should comment what are your thoughts about each of them. I will bet @shiffman an his team would love to hear your thoughts.

Kf

• I think you started in the right places. There is a section books and a section tutorials also to go on.

I guess it's not only about reading but about gaining own experience and programming your own programs from scratch. So when you set yourself a goal like a game Pong or Arkanoid and start from scratch you will learn from your mistakes and your own programming.

Best, Chrisir

• What would you like to do?

@kfrajer I really want to learn to the point where I can challenge myself with the code

Are you done and you don't know what to do next?

Yeah, that's it, I dont know what to do next, that's why I need a little help.

I guess it's not only about reading but about gaining own experience and programming your own programs from scratch. So when you set yourself a goal like a game Pong or Arkanoid and start from scratch you will learn from your mistakes and your own programming.

Yeah, I really want to do that, but I need some knowledge I don't have. That's why I'm going for the The Nature of Code: Simulating Natural Systems with Processing"

• edited November 2017

This forum is a great help also when you are doing your first own programs.

You could program your own pong game and learn object oriented programming going there.

Just to get some practice and experience.

• Have you already gone through...?:

1. The processing.org site tutorials
    1. The examples:
    1. Reading the reference -- it has basic example code for almost every function and method: