API Level

edited October 2013 in Android Mode

Hi, I'm looking to change the API level so I can run my app on a tablet.

From my initial research, the only way to do this is to use the eclipse IDE.. are there any simpler ways to make the change, as currently I dont think there are any plans from the processing guys to change the hardcoded API 10

If anyone has step by step instructions on using the Eclipse IDE with processing, that would be really helpful as well!

Thanks

Answers

• Obviously, this question belongs to the Android mode (actually, it wasn't so obvious! I had to read it twice to spot the mention of a tablet, supposing it is an Android one; and "API" is a so generic name!), so I moved the topic.

• Cool.. thanks..I tagged it with Android.. first time in the new forum!

• edited October 2013

What API level do you want? You say that you want your app to run on a tablet, which probably means android 3.0 Honeycomb or later, which would be API level 11.

You should try opening theAndroidManifest.xmlfile (in your sketch folder) and editing theuses-sdktag. By default, Processing sets theandroid:minSdkattribute to7(Android 2.1) (has that changed?). Ideally, you would set theandroid:targetSdkattribute to11(Honeycomb). However, if that isn't sufficient, you might need to set theandroid:minSdkto11as well.

• edited October 2013

Hi, I'm looking to change the API level so I can run my app on a tablet.

All of Android APIs are backwards compatible. Meaning every newer phone/tablet can still run older applications. Which means you may have newest android version KitKat and you can still run apps compiled for let's say Android 2.3 (API10) or Android 1.6 (API8).

Even more than that: everything what was compiled with version 2.3 will run on 3.0, 4.1, 4.2 and should run EVEN on very distant future version 9.0 which may come 5 years from now.

So the bottom line is: if all you want is just to run the app on your tablet - it should run without any modifications.