My textSize seem to be blocked

Hi, i think i have an issue with the textSize() function : the size seem to be determined somewhere in the code and i couldn't find a way to change it. Even with textSize(anyNumber) the size won't change. I think i've failed somewhere in my code, but idk where, so i'm asking for help ... here's a link to my game's archive : https://mediafire.com/?t9l8g8mp3k0911b

As you can see, if you uncomment the 2 lines Game.js:54 et Game.js:55, and then run the prog in the browser (press enter to pass the first screen), even if the textSize is 12, it seem that the text is displayed with a size of 50, and i can't find why ........

I'm self taught, and this was a project made to learn and practice with DOM elts and it's totally a WiP, so it is probably a terrible mess, sorry for that ^^

Thanks in advance :) Ali

Tagged:

Answers

• Can you post your code?

Kf

• i can, but it is spread on 4 different files that's why i linked directly to the archive do you want me to post it anyway ?

• edited July 2017

I guess it won't harm to post it anyway ...

index.html

/Deleted/

sketch.js

/Deleted/

methods.js

/Deleted/

Game.js

/Deleted/

Player.js

/Deleted/

EDIT : I think i've isolated the problem : has to do with loading fonts, so i deleted the whole project and created a dummy project just to test this :

sketch.js :

captureItReady = false;

function preload(){
      captureIt = loadFont("./fonts/Capture_it.ttf", captureItRead);
    };

function setup() {
      createCanvas(800,500);
      textAlign(CENTER, CENTER);
    };

function draw() {
     background(51);
     textSize(12);
     if(captureItReady){
       textFont(captureIt);
       textSize(30);
       fill(255);
       text("TITLE", width/2, height/2);
     }else{
       text("Failed to load font", width/2, height/2);
     };
     textFont('Georgia');
     textSize(50);
     text("Blah", width/2, 2*height/3);
    };

function captureItRead(){
      captureItReady = true;
    };

Looks like if i load a font, textSize appiles well the first time, but then if i load another font for another text piece, the textSize will be set and locked to what it was before i loaded the first font. Whatever i do after, i can't modify the text size after i loaded the first font ...

Here are some other variations of the main code that i tried (only changed what was inside the draw() so i'll only post this :

/*Load the 2nd font inside the condition where the 1st is loaded */ - Expected behavior : Same text size as the first piece of text (From the p5 ref for the textSize function : "This size will be used in all subsequent calls to the text() function" ) - Actual Behavior : text() uses the text size given before the first font was loaded.

-Code :

function draw() {
     background(51);
     textSize(12);
     if(captureItReady){
       textFont(captureIt);
       textSize(30);
       fill(255);
       textFont('Georgia');
     }else{
     };
    };

/Set the text size before loading the first font, then setting it to another value before loading another font/ - Expected behavior : Text Size of the second text element is set by the second textSize() call - Actual behavior : text size of the second element is the same as the first, as if the second textSize() call doesn't exist.

-Code :

function draw() {
     background(51);
     if(captureItReady){
       textSize(30);
       textFont(captureIt);
       fill(255);
       textSize(10);
       textFont('Georgia');
     }else{
     };
    };

I think i'll try other possibilities and post them here again, i want to have your opinion on this, to see if i have to report this as a bug or if it's just me who didn't quite understood how it works !

Ali

PS : note that the first font is loaded from a file, so a custom font, and the second is a default font (i guess), idk if it has smth to do with this but i post it anyway

• Answer ✓

After some further tests, i saw that this was only happening when using a custom font loaded from an external file. I think i'll post this in a bug report

• Thank you, @Alivanar -- if you do post an issue, please consider adding the issue link to this thread.