Praxis LIVE v2 - hybrid visual IDE for Processing

... imagine a development environment that gives you the best of Processing with the best of visual patcher environments like Isadora or Quartz Composer; imagine a patcher environment where the components are defined as fragments of Processing code, so you're not constrained by what comes built-in; imagine an environment with an embedded compiler so that you can fork components or create custom ones on-the-fly as your project is running; imagine an environment with a distributed architecture, where you can run a project across multiple machines, including editing code on one machine as it runs on another ...

Announcing Praxis LIVE v2 (now with added Processing).

PL2

Just released, version 2 is a major revision of Praxis LIVE, which now bundles Processing as one of its core libraries.

New features include -

• New OpenGL renderer using Processing.
  • Fork All - new, improved live-code support and migration of built-in components, allowing for components to be evolved on-the-fly and making it easier to develop and share custom components.
  • New video:gl:p3d custom-code component with (almost) full access to the underlying Processing API.
  • Distributed Hubs. Run a project across multiple computers, or multiple processes on one machine (eg. for better framerates or lower-latency audio)
  • New code editor for Processing and GLSL code (based on the NetBeans editor) with full code completion and error highlighting for Java.

In addition to these new features, Praxis LIVE continues to provide -

• Built-in cross-platform video capture and playback components.
  • Audio library for playback and processing, with built-in JACK support.
  • Visual GUI editor with binding / syncing to properties.
  • MIDI and OSC bindings
  • TinkerForge interface for hardware integration with sensors, motors, servos, etc.

Download from www.praxislive.org
Source code on GitHub

Comments

• I've just written a blog post on how to transform a Processing sketch into a Praxis LIVE component, based on the Processing TextureCylinder example.

https://praxisintermedia.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/transform-a-processing-sketch-into-a-praxis-live-component/

cylinder

• Made a couple of videos this week to demonstrate live-coding of custom components (nodes) using Java / Processing. First is a simple example showing how annotations are used to inject variables into your "sketch" from the graphical patcher. Second adds in 3D and live GLSL editing as well.

Best enjoyed at 1080p on YouTube itself! ;-)

Also, brand spanking new website up at www.praxislive.org

• Really cool! I'm to lazy atm to read a manual but I will check it out this week. Did you make this alone?

• Thanks! Yes, it's currently a solo project, although obviously builds on a fair few libraries, including Processing. It's a tool I built for my own professional practice, such as this (v1, so pre-Processing integration)

Of course, I'm definitely up for other developers getting involved in building Praxis LIVE (advanced) or adding to the custom component library (easy!)

• Praxis LIVE v2.1-150808 is now out with an "awesome" new audio API that includes the ability to live-code DSP ..

(best viewed fullscreen at 1080p if you want to see what's going on)

• Cool. I wish I had more time so I could check it out. I did a project with processing -> Max MSP. But I really disliked Max MSP. And OSC is really slooowwww. I hope someone else will check it out! You really deserve it after all the effort so far.

• Thanks! Glad you like it.

Interesting you mention OSC. What isn't apparent unless you dig under the covers of what's happening in this video is that Praxis LIVE has a distributed architecture that allows pipelines to run in different processes or on different computers. The audio in this video is actually running in a separate VM to the UI, which helps with performance. The underlying communication mechanism is (currently) OSC-based.

• In case OSC get's to slow for you:

https://github.com/peter-lawrey/Java-Chronicle

This library is an ultra low latency, high throughput, persisted, messaging and event driven in memory database. The typical latency is as low as 80 nano-seconds and supports throughputs of 5-20 million messages/record updates per second.

• Interesting, thanks! I've looked at a few options in the past, and not sure if this was one of them. At the moment messaging isn't proving to be much of a bottleneck (at least on Linux). But I'll keep this in mind should that change (bigger data structures on the horizon). There's a very small group of classes inside Praxis LIVE that handle message routing, so replacing the existing mechanism isn't a huge amount of work.

• A new version of the "best" IDE for Processing is now available ...

PL2P3GST1sm

Praxis LIVE v2.2 includes -

• Updated OpenGL renderer based on Processing 3.0.1 / JOGL 2.3.2
    • Optional support for GStreamer 1.x video playback and capture.
    • Various new components including a tracker-style component with basic table-style pattern editor.
    • TinkerForge (sensors, electronics, etc.) bindings update.
    • Many minor bug fixes.

Download - www.praxislive.org
    Source code - github.com/praxis-live

• I really wish I had more time!

• i'll be checkin it!

• I've just uploaded a major update to the Praxis LIVE documentation, with lots more information on how to code custom components (or fork built-in ones).

It covers the major ways Praxis LIVE extends the Processing API, as well as some things you can't do or have to do differently. It also covers Praxis LIVE's own audio API.

http://praxis-live.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Enjoy! :-)

• edited May 2016

Praxis LIVE v2.3.2 was released today. Mainly a bug-fix release, but some useful enhancements on top of Processing's standard multi-texturing support.

Available now from www.praxislive.org

And here's a recent video demonstrating support for audio and visual live coding - best viewed full screen!

https://youtu.be/c1rI6_Lg3eQ

• If anyone here is in the Montreal area, I'm doing a Praxis LIVE workshop this Thursday evening (June 16th), looking particularly at video, live-coding Java and Processing integration.

https://www.facebook.com/events/194747680919971/

I'm also doing another workshop in Oxford (UK) on Sunday June 26th as part of this.