P5 151 Does not start anymore

Hi, I don't know what I've done but my version of Processing 151 won't launch at all.> The splash screen displays for a while, then I have a Launch4J message box saying

The specified module can't be found.

I've tried launching processing from the command-line with the following command ;

processing.exe --l4j-debug

But it did not do any good :( .. Anyway, the launch4j.log file now contains this :

CmdLine:    C:\Tools\processing 1.5.1\processing.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64:      yes
Working dir:    C:\Tools\processing 1.5.1\.
Bundled JRE:    java
Check launcher: C:\Tools\processing 1.5.1\java\bin\javaw.exe (n/a)
64-bit search:  SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit...
Match:      SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.7
Match:      SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.7.0_51
Using 64-bit runtime.
Check launcher: C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JDK17~1.0_5\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath:  lib\pde.jar
Add classpath:  lib\core.jar
Add classpath:  lib\jna.jar
Add classpath:  lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath:  lib\antlr.jar
Add classpath:  lib\ant.jar
Add classpath:  lib\ant-launcher.jar
Launcher:   C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JDK17~1.0_5\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args:  -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JDK17~1.0_5\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\antlr.jar;lib\ant.jar;lib\ant-launcher.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length:    193/32768 chars
Error:      Le module spécifié est introuvable. // In english "can't find the specified module"

Any idea someone ? It is rather urgent..

@amnon, @poersch, @codeanticode ?

Thnaks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• I remember once P1.5.1 failed to open due to @quark's Applet Exporter and I had to remove it:
    http://www.lagers.org.uk/appletutil/

However I believe you already modified P1.5.1 to have its own sketchbook folder, right? :>
    http://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/9048/processing-libraries-how-to-work-with-different-versions-of-the-same-library

• I remember once P1.5.1 failed to open due to @quark's Applet Exporter

Not surprising really because the library was not designed to work with 1.5.1 as this version had its own Export Applet option.

The Applet Export and Signer tool was created for Processing V2 because the developers had removed the export applet option.

• @gotoloop : I have not tried the Applet Exporter solution, but FYI, I only still have just one sketchbook and one libraries folder for both 151 and 211.

Will investigate the Applet Exporter thing.. I'll let you know.

• Just to address any confusions:

• The mere presence of Applet Exporter was enough to crash P1.5.1 while opening it back then.
    • Best solution is have separate "sketchbook" folders for each Processing version.
  • @gotoloop : Ok and thanks for the different sketchbooks locations but I will do that as soon as P 151 will be working again...

As for the presence of the Applet Exporter, could you be a little more specific in the way to solve the problem please ?

And, BTW, it would seem that it is a config problem on my machine.. isn't it ? Because I left the Processing directory intact as it was. Could a fresh download / reinstall solve my problem in your opinion ?

This is rather urgent as I have a course that I'm teaching scheduled for next Monday...

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

capturevision.wordpress.com

• edited January 2015
    • That was just a case that happened to me along time ago!
    • If you never installed that specific tool, that's not it.
    • I always had both Processing v1.5.1 and some other v2.x.x installed at the same time.
    • But for P1.5.1 I always delete its "/java" subfolder in order to force to use OS's Java.
    • Make sure you got JDK version properly installed.
    • As a last resource, you can emulate a light Linux distro via VirtualBox or VMware Player.
    • Then install Processing in that guest emulated OS.
  • Hm..What JDK/JRE version is needed to run P5 151 ? Will investigate the "delete /java" folder method..

• Any! Be it 6, 7, or 8. Be it 32 or 64 bits! ~O)

• Hm. Yes, it seemed so to me for years.. Wonder what the problem can be. I'm gonna download a fresh 151 install to see if anything was overwritten in my install...

• One thing you can try is to move the folders libraries, modesand tools out of the sketchbook to see if they are the problem. You can restore them later, of course.