GUI libraries: ControlP5 vs. G4P?

edited October 2013 in Library Questions

New to Processing 2 (but briefly looked at "1" in early 2012). Eventually want to build sketch with more user interaction than mouse clicks or mouse/keyboard presses. Would appreciate comments and opinions on ease of use or documentation on the two available GUI libraries: ControlP5 and G4P. Thanks.

Comments

• I am surprised no one has made an attempt to answer your question. I deliberately left it to others because, as the creator of G4P I am bound to be biased.

Since both G4P and ControlP5 can be installed through the PDE (menu Import Library | Add library option) you should do that. You might also want to install the G4P GUI Builder tool (menu Tools | Add Tool).

Once all three are installed shut-down then restart Processing. Use File | Examples... and try out the examples that come with both libraries to get a feel for the types of controls available to you. Have a look at the source code.

You can also try the GUI Builder tool which gives you a form based designer tool for G4P. You can see videos of the tool in action (these videos have not been updated since the first release so there are a few changes but they will get you started.

I should point out that G4P is designed for Java Mode, so will export as application, or in some circumstances to a Java Applet using the Applet Maker tool. It is not designed to work in Android or JavaScript mode.

I think that ControlP5 will work in both Java and JavaScript mode but since I don't use it I can't be certain. (Perhaps a ControlP5 user can post an answer to that?)

Once you have played with the examples, looked at the example sketch code and the reference material that comes with library download you will be in a better position to make an informed choice.

HTH :)

• quark: Thanks for the guidance on evaluating these packages. Indeed, personal experience is the best teacher. Any further thoughts from a user of ControlP5? bob97086

• I recommending test driving both by looking at the examples.