Carnivore library byte format is unfamiliar, little basic help please?

edited October 2013 in Library Questions

Hey all,

Using this lib: http://r-s-g.org/carnivore/installation.html to do an art project involving sniffing network traffic. The problem is that println("Payload: " + p.data); spits out something like this: Payload: [B@ef4504 which looks like hex to me, but what's up with '[B@' ? Just a header for hex data or something?

Doing an unhex on that specific data

println(unhex("ef4504"));

spits out 15680772. So I'm guessing this is because data is an array, so all the data is being compressed into hex somehow. If I do data[index] then I get small manageable numbers that seem to be between -127 and 128, that sound about right?

Another issue is that by changing it to spit out a particular index of the array data, I get tons of errors.

at sketch_CP5_example1.packetEvent(sketch_CP5_example1.java:47)
    ... 6 more
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.rsg.carnivore.CarnivoreP5.newCarnivorePacket(CarnivoreP5.java:90)
    at org.rsg.carnivore.Core.dispatch(Core.java:227)
    at org.rsg.carnivore.PacketCacheThread.run(PacketCacheThread.java:37)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
    at sketch_CP5_example1.packetEvent(sketch_CP5_example1.java:47)
    ... 6 more

Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. I will open source this project in the hopes that what I learn here helps others.

Answers

• Upon more consideration, I believe the most pressing question is: Why is Carnivore returning the bytes as signed? I'd like them to be 0-255 :(

• edited October 2013

In order for println() to know it's supposed to list a structure content, we gotta use that as its sole argument: (~~)

print("Payload: ");
    println(p.data);

That spit hex value is the supposedly object's physical memory address (pointer reference)! 8-X

• that's an address, the address of the object in memory and absolutely no use to anyone. the [ and B tells you it's probably a byte array.

If I do data[index] then I get small manageable numbers that seem to be between -127 and 128, that sound about right?

yep. that's the range for a byte.

• edited October 2013

actually, that page you link to tells you all this.

"CarnivorePacket" Class members

byte[] data The content of the packet as bytes.

also there are 3 examples that look useful...

• Yes, I am actively using the examples and came from that page, hence the link...

According to what has been mentioned, moreover, that is wrong; it's not the content of the packet, but its address in memory?

And there is a difference between a signed and unsigned byte, no?

So if I invoke this: println(binary(p.data[i])); Is it binar-izing the memory address, or correctly returning the packet's content, bit by bit?

• edited October 2013

Code in full:

import org.rsg.carnivore.*;
    import org.rsg.lib.Log;

CarnivoreP5 c;

void setup() {
      size(600, 400);
      background(255);
      c = new CarnivoreP5(this); 
      //c.setVolumeLimit(4); //limit the output volume (optional)
      //c.setShouldSkipUDP(true); //tcp packets only (optional)
    }

void draw() {
    }

// Called each time a new packet arrives
    void packetEvent(CarnivorePacket p) {
      for (int i = 0; i < p.data.length; i++) {
        //println("Payload: " + p.data[i]);
        println(binary(p.data[i]));
        //println("(" + p.strTransportProtocol + " packet) " + p.senderSocket() + " > " + p.receiverSocket());
      }
    }