App that needs to be updated daily

edited September 2014 in How To...

Hello, I'm familiar with code but I am stuck on trying to figure out how to make simple functions and secondary page. For example a button that takes you to a secondary page, or relays you to google maps.

I can design what I want but I'm not sure where to go, past the visual aspect.

I have an idea for a local company that has daily specials, I want to easily integrate something for them that they can easily handle on their own without me having to update it daily for them. And this is where I am stuck, how can I accomplish this

Now, I'm not asking you to code it for me, I'm simply trying to get pointed in the right directions for what I need to accomplish this goal of mine. (having it updated daily is the main point of what I need help with)

Tagged:

Answers

• If you were updating the "Specials" daily, you could have the company host a small site (or a page on that site, if they have one, already) that consists of the update in a JSON format. JSON is only for code readability's sake.

Since you're doing this on Android, the problem could lie in that there is no JSON parser in Android Mode. In which case, there are multiple other ways of accessing the webpage, one of them also being XML.

Another side problem would be how easy it is for the company to actually update the specials. To be honest, I don't think anyone there is inclined to work with any raw data, like XML. What I'm saying is that you may also need an easier way to update. Though I'll leave that up to you.

Apart from that, only implementing Google Maps my be a bit complicated, but I'm sure there are libraries for that, as well. That's pretty much it. The rest is fairly simple.

• edited September 2014

I appreciate the response, I'll be looking into JavaScript Object Notation & XML and see if I can continue to make it easier for them to update it, through other formats, as I progress. Thank you.

edit: what I originally was thinking was to have something like an iframe of a webpage, and it would take whatever [body.txt] was in the main folder and simply apply it's iframe values to that .txt file:: for the application I would think the easiest way would be SMS message of 'Specials' that would in turn route to the ftp server of the site, and convert the contents of the text message into a time sensitive file, in which the folder it was in would delete the contents inside at a certain time of day [1am]. Clearing the way for the follow day.