So, how much do coders charge these days?

Hi, I'm doing some research into an idea that I have for a generative music service.

Its very much in the conceptual/planning stages, at the moment just trying to flesh out the budget side of things. I'm looking into making a business.

I would require an advanced level programmer full time for 3 months. I sorry I cant go into too far into specific skills required (as I'm not sure about that part yet myself). As such I realise the answer to this question may be "how long is a peace of string"... Still

Lets just say, a well rounded advanced level coder, to work on the engine of a generative music service. Full time, for 3 months.

This is best description I can give at this stage.

I'm trying to get a rough idea as to what a fair price for 3 months work?

Any help would be awesome. Thank you,

A

Answers

• Hello A, I'm a professional freelance developer with a variety of skills in advances comp sci topics. My current rate is $50 an hour, so that would be $2000 for a week of full time dedicated to your project. Extrapolate for 3 months and you have $24,000. If this is in your budget and you'd like to find out more, please email me @ neoshamangames@gmail.com. Generative music is a personal favorite topic of mine!

In any case, best of luck with your project!

• Thanks rebirth, that's very helpful. Is this the average price for such a job...

Say if I budgeted $20,000 - 25USD, this would be round about right?

• I know many devs who charge more (up to say double that), and then there are people like students and people just starting out who are looking to gain experience who will work for less. I generally think you get what you pay for. Be weary of "code farms" that offer exceptionally cheap work. You might end up paying someone to redo everything a few months down the line because they didn't do it right the first time. I've seen this happen first hand.

• Also a note, programming might not be the only work you need done to make a commercial product. Do you need art assets? How are you marketing? These are things you need to think about too!

• You would be looking for a development contractor (developer is more common term for a programmer). You might want to look into what language would be best for your program so that you can find the best fit developer. Also, make sure you put some budget aside for all of the dev tools such as IDE's, cloud storage, licenses, design tools, etc. The last thing you want to do is to have to make professional software in the PDE.

• Rebirth, I can take care of the art assets side... I will have fun with that. I will need help with marketing (I have some extremely smart family members for this). Its the development side I have most difficulty with.

• Thanks for the reply Cookies, that is the answer I was looking for. If you would like to read more about what I'm trying to do check my other post on this forum.

Thanks

http://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/7018/post-millennial-music-is-sux-its-lost-its-magic-with-the-help-of-code-i-can-save-it-#Item_1